News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 6269X Horn Question

Started by bobchaney, July 20, 2019, 06:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobchaney

Hi Folks,
I'm getting ready to hook up my horns and was wanting to check them on the bench first. I have dual horns and don't know if these are original or not and would appreciate it anyone can confirm that. They are marked Delco Remy and Model H.

I measured dc resistance at .6 ohms so that's saying would draw 10 amps at 6V although I'm planning to run them on 12V. Anybody ever measure the current on one of these?

Bob
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

1959Fleetwood

Hello Bob,

You can run 6 volt horns on a 12 volt system without any harm to the horns or 12 volt wiring/horn relay.
The case is that you use the horns only temporarely. The benefit is that you have a loud and clear sound that will wake everybody up ;D  'My 74 ElCamino runs with 49 Cadillac horns for years now without any problems.
The same thing goes for a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system, even with a weak compression your engine wil fire up more easily because of the higher cranking speed.
THT
Matern Harmsel
CLC 15331
Matern Harmsel
CLC # 15331

1941 Cadillac series 6227D
1953 Cadillac series 6237
1959 Cadillac series 6029
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino