News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Share your earlier memories of Cadillac's of the past. Just for fun. Priceless

Started by Bill Young, August 03, 2019, 09:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

I was into cars from a pretty young age but unlike other young people who may have been interested in sporty performance cars like Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, etc I was much more into luxury cars like Cadillacs, Mercedes, etc.  As far as Cadillacs, my fondest early memories were of going to auto shows and seeing the latest models like the new Eldorado for 1979 or bustle back Seville for 1980, etc.  Additionally, you practically couldn't watch a NYC market television station in the 1970s and 1980s without seeing commercials for "America's Largest Cadillac Dealer" Potamkin Cadillac.  Potamkin spent millions each year in advertising back then.  As luxury cars go, Cadillacs were quite popular in the tri-state area.

Bill Young

Yann , When I was 7 years old on I would cut out the Cadillac Ad's from the Nat. Geo Magazines that my Grandparents subscribed to and tape them up around my bedroom. I believe the 1956 Sedan DeVille ad you spoke of I also Loved. The one with the red one outside in the snow. " The Christmas they will never forget " I still have piles of those ad's to this day and know almost every one by heart.

K_Cassutt

Circa 1975, the height of the energy crisis with the speed limit 55.
My parents just bought the 67 Eldo, the one I'm trying to restore (see picture elsewhere).
We are driving from Middle of nowhere, Montana to Calgary.
My father is casually driving at 55 when a Montana Highway patrol comes over the hill and points. Get over.
He is doing....75! Hmm, father comes back with the bill of sale showing that we just bought it.  Okay, five dollars and not basic rule fine.
The Highway patrol trails us and lets us know when we are doing 55.  Speedometer reads...43 mph.
For the rest of trip, we count the median stripes.
I really want to open up this car on Montana secondary!

Kelly Cassutt (following the rules for full name disclosure)