News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 strong oil leaking problem

Started by MikeGerman, July 31, 2019, 07:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGerman

Hey guys,
I already mentioned it in one of the threads; my 1941 Coupe is leaking a lot of oil.
I bought it last year and drove since then around 500mls. Everytime I want to park the car again, I have long lines of oil and a lot beneath my car.

The engine was overhauled last year and I take the rear end seal as the suspect.

A friend told me to wait and see, probably the leaking will disappear when the car is driving. Not yet.
Do you have other assumptions what it might be?

Or tipps for the work that will lie infront of me?
I already read that some people used a Mercedes Seal instead. Any thoughts on this?

Best,
Mike
Mike German
CLC#29979
1936 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1940 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

fishnjim

I wouldn't drive it anymore, if it leaks that much.   
Look at all the usual suspects first before you going engine diving.   If you can't tell, degunk and dry the engine first then run and monitor with light, mirror, etc.
Another case of poor rebuilding...This would have showed up if they ran it in the shop.

DaveZ

What Jim said. Clean it, put oil in it and start it. Look for the oil. From what you pictured it shouldn't be hard to find. When you say overhauled what exactly did they do? Whatever you do don't drive until it's fixed. If you have good oil pressure it could be a hole in the pan or the plug is loose.  Whatever it is it won't fix itself:-) Let us know what you find.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Don't forget to check the oil sending unit as well.
Good luck.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Marty Michaels

Are you running a oil filter,if you are make sure that the rubber gasket is seated correctly if not oil will leave what you see. Marty
Marty Michaels
1947 6269
1941 6019s
CLC#26833

Bob Schuman

Adding to Jeff Rose's comment, the oil pressure sensing is not electric, but is a small tube from near the distributor to the dash gauge. These have been known to fracture, letting a lot of oil run down the back end of the engine.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

C Gorgas

Does the distributor have a gasket where it enters the block?

MikeGerman

Hey Marty,
There were no oil filters at the 346‘s Engines.
To Mr. Gorgas, yes there was a gasket. I replaced it.
Put everything together and drove home 20Mls. No proböems so far. Will drive to a car meet tomorrow, approx 50-60mls. Will check undercarriage then again.

I have one more question:
I want to change the 4-bladed fan with a five or six-bladed. Anyone has a guess where I can find one of those?

Best
Mike
Mike German
CLC#29979
1936 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1940 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: MikeGerman on August 24, 2019, 03:11:21 PM
I want to change the 4-bladed fan with a five or six-bladed. Anyone has a guess where I can find one of those?

Commercial Chassis Vehicle......
                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

35-709

There were indeed aftermarket oil filter installations available for Cadillacs (and other makes) from the mid-30s on and many Cadillacs had them.

"Doug Houston

Re: 1941 cadillac oil filter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 12:51:26 AM »
there were two types of bracketry for aftermarket filter installations on the engines from 1936 through 1948. The first placed the filter above the LH cylinder head, with brackets attaching to the manifold mounting dogs.

The second design placed the filter bracket on the front of the LH cylinder head down nearer the bottom of it. The lower and wider engine compartments in 41 permitted the newer mount."
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is a blast from the past.   Doug Houston, May he be resting in peace.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon