News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

48 Hydra - Matic rear seal removal.. HELP

Started by Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225, September 12, 2019, 05:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

I am in the process of replacing a leaky Rear Oil Seal on my 48 Club Coupe's Tranny. I am having a heck of a problem removing the old seal. I have tried a seal puller tool , screw driver etc.. and have had no luck getting it out. I need to mention that the transmission is still in the car so as you know the X frame really limits my access. Plus I am on my back in the driveway. Can someone out there please offer any tips or tricks to getting the old seal out.   Thanks for any advice .  Bill
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Bobby B

Bill,
Hi. That seal is recessed like 3/4" and has the "boot" around the output shaft. I would screw 2 self-tapping sheet metal screws 180 degrees apart and try yanking/wiggling it out with some vice grips on the screws. If it won't budge, try some longer, heavier screws that protrude past the output shaft and use a slide hammer with the puller shoe adapter on the end. Good Luck!
                                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

The Tassie Devil(le)

As for using a slide hammer, it will be necessary to fit a long extension so that you can insert it through the X Member, and attack it straight on.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   The extension will have to be made, and should be at least 4 feet long.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Thanks Bob and Bruce,  Great Ideas. I will try the self tappers and vise grips first. I have a heavy duty 3' slide hammer that I think I can add length to. 
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;

Previous Caddies ;

1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Bobby B

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 12, 2019, 07:39:43 PM
The extension will have to be made, and should be at least 4 feet long.

Bruce,
If the "X" frame is similar to the '47, the rear opening curve is 10" from the trans seal and wide open. You could almost stick your head in there. Obviously easier to do out of car, but with a little patience, it could be done.
                                        Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Bobby B on September 12, 2019, 09:09:52 PMObviously easier to do out of car, but with a little patience, it could be done.
                                        Bobby

Starting in 1946 that seal is the same in Hydramatic and stick shift transmissions.  Some years ago I removed the seal from my '49's stick transmission with the rear transmission housing out of the car.  Using a long, thick shaft and a hammer, and whacking at it from the front side of the housing, it needed many heavy blows with the hammer before it came out.  The seal was really in there solidly on my car.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bobby B

Quote from: Jay Friedman on September 13, 2019, 06:39:21 AM
Starting in 1946 that seal is the same in Hydramatic and stick shift transmissions.  Some years ago I removed the seal from my '49's stick transmission with the rear transmission housing out of the car. 

Jay,
Removing the Tail housing on a Hydra-Matic is a little more involved than on a standard trans.
                                                                                                Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

fishnjim

Brute force and working in the driveway isn't always the best approach, especially if you end up messing something up.   Screwing in screws and yanking on a vice grip won't be even force and risks damaging and wedging the seal.   Depends how long its been in there, if it'll come out easily due corrosion, galling, freezing, etc.   We have a saying in engineering, "the proper amount of dynamite properly applied will remove anything" but it's overkill here.
Suppose if it was pressed in?   Need the clearances to tell.
I suspect with the shaft in there, it's a much harder task and TS probably best off for easy removal - access from both sides and middle.   That way you could use a two arm puller or press also so it pulls/pushes evenly.   Installing the new seal is even more critical to get it right or it'll leak again or worse.
What about going to a trans garage with a lift and the tools?  Repair approach needs some research.   Is there a shop manual for this?  That would tell you if frame clearance and if it can be done on the car or not?  Might have had a tool back in the day for this, also.   I suspect it's fiber seal era and those are different than today's "pop 'em" lip seals.

Caddy Wizard

Honestly, that tail shaft seal is a beast to get out.  It is installed with an interference fit.  I used a tool that has a foot at one end that can slip behind the seal and has a hammer lug half way along its length that can be beat on with a hammer.  3pound hammer is about right.  Very, very tough job.  Almost impossible on your back under the car.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bobby B

Quote from: fishnjim on September 13, 2019, 08:59:11 AM
Brute force and working in the driveway isn't always the best approach, especially if you end up messing something up.   
Suppose if it was pressed in? 
What about going to a trans garage with a lift and the tools? 
A. Agreed. Working on your back is not Fun, but most of us do it.
B. Not "pressed" in. It's Wacked in with a hammer and the proper diameter piece of pipe, etc. It sits recessed around the shaft.
C. Would have been my first suggestion, but Bill said "He's" in the process, not the transmission shop. Maybe it would be a good idea to let a shop do it.

Jim,
No need to overthink this seal replacement. It's not a complicated job, it just involves a little ingenuity and patience with the trans in the car. You can fabricate an installation tool with a proper sized pipe coupling and handle. Pulling off the rear housing off with the reverse assembly would be my last resort.
             Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Thanks everyone.   I just finished the job as I speak. I tried the screw trick with a slide hammer but with no luck. The screws eventually just ripped out of the seal lip. I ended up using a small thin blade screw driver to push the seal towards the middle all the way around the seal and after about 4 hours was able to finally get a pair of gator vise grip on a piece of the torn seal and using the frame as leverage was able to get it out. I cleaned the seal race and noticed some burring from my screwdriver so I used emory cloth to smooth it out. I then used some RV sealant around the outside of the new seal just in case. The drive shaft went back together nicely. Like many of you, I take pride in doing the all work myself. That is the part of the hobby that I really enjoy. BUT, next time I have a leaky rear seal on a Hydramatic that has been sitting in the dirt for 30+ years I am taking the car to someone with a lift.   ha    Thanks for every ones suggestions and help. Mission Accomplished !!

Current Labors of LOVE;

Previous Caddies ;

1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Big Fins

Good job! Now you can look at it and say "I beat you, you didn't beat me". Self satisfaction is a great feeling.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Bobby B

Bill,
Hey, Good deal! I'm Glad it worked out for you. Frustrating sometimes, but if you think of the time to drop the car off, get a ride home, go back and pick it up, and hope that they did it correctly, it's sometimes better to tackle these easy but PITA jobs yourself. Like John said, the satisfaction alone is worth it!
                                                     Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

I agree,   Even after a real knuckle buster , it is such a great moment when you can say " I DID IT  AND YOU DID NOT BEAT ME    !!   Time to reward myself with an ice cold adult beverage.. 

Current Labors of LOVE;

Previous Caddies ;

1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

savemy67

Hello Bill,

I just wrestled a '58 Hydra-Matic out of the trunk of my car this evening.  I couldn't find my chainfall, or a neighbor to help, so I had to do the Archimedes thing with some wood.  Glad you were able to remove the seal.

Cheers.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Bobby B

Quote from: savemy67 on September 15, 2019, 07:57:42 PM
Hello Bill,

I just wrestled a '58 Hydra-Matic out of the trunk of my car this evening.  I couldn't find my chainfall, or a neighbor to help, so I had to do the Archimedes thing with some wood.  Glad you were able to remove the seal.

Chris,
I prefer the Sisyphus method myself.......
                                          Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jay Friedman

Sometimes you just have to show a Cadillac who the boss is.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."