News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Eldorado waffle trim first red 53

Started by Tony Love, May 28, 2012, 09:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Love

Hello again
I am restoring the first red 53 Eldorado made and have hit a problem that I hope someone out there can help me with.
Someone has cut out a small square out of the drivers side lower waffle trim (see picture) kick panel.
As you may be aware this trim is impossible to get or replicate.
I am hoping that somewhere out there on the entire planet someone might have this bit.
Or even another bit that I can use to hopefully delicately patch it or it will look like this forever :(
Price is not a problem

Thanks

Tony

Quentin Hall

G'day Tony, 
               May I suggest you do what I regularly do with old chocolate wrappers . . . just strategically place it over the offending hole like you just dropped it there (hopefully there will still be enough  gooey chocolate residue on the wrapper to facilitate it sticking there.) Make sure you place several other drink bottles, napkins, lottery/ parking tickets, apple cores etc randomly on the floor and down the seat corners etc, to further distract the viewers eye from noticing the "MISSING SQUARE INCH" . . . Over the years I have gone so far as to save thousands by not even having carpet in my cars, just a thick "protective, insulating" layer of refuse on the floor.  Dynamat; bah humbug !
               By the way I have these pieces for both my Eldos and they are 100% perfect.
               Good luck in your quest though. Q ;D
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Cadillac Nut

Hi Tony,
You may be able to find a similar piece and patch it.  Compare it to the '58 Fleetwood rear quarter trim and fender skirts.  I think it is different (larger "lines"), but you might want to check it out.  I will see if I can think of any other trim pieces that resemble this. 

Regards,
Garrett

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

After looking at your photo, I went down to the garage and looked at the
interior trim used on my '55 Eldorado.

It's very close to yours (so close that my older eyes can't see much difference).
So, you have another possible source.  I believe that the same trim was used in '54 and '56 as well.

The whole cowl vent on mine was not trimmed in metal, but there is a wide
piece on the bottom, plus it's used in a few other spots.

You might be able to patch yours so that somebody would have to crawl
on the floor to find the work!  Try somebody that sells parts from a large
yard such as Honest John in Texas.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Tony Love

Thanks for the replies but it has to be 53 Eldorado trim, I have checked out a few other matches and some are close but not perfect and I need perfect!
I have some friends and contacts that have been very helpful and I'm sure I will get the right trim.

Thanks again

Tony

Chris Conklin

I'm just curious, is there any evidence as to why this was cut?
Chris Conklin

Tony Love

Hello and thanks for the question
I assume it was cut to access/allow for the hydraulic line connection for the seats and window lines.
I guess at some point a repair was done to the connection and the trim just didn't fit back over it so some moron cut it to fit.

Thanks again

Tony

larrygood

Hello Tony-  I just read this 8-year old thread.  Did you solve your problem?  I am restoring a '53 Eldorado now and have the same problem.  I hope you get this message.  -Larry Good, CLC #1737

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

He's not gonna get this message because he hasn't been here in 6 years. Try a direct email. PS... I saw Tony's car in 2016. It's done.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Quentin Hall

I’ve sent a message to Larry this find out which bits he’s chasing.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Dave Ventresca

the material he needs is on ebay under 55 olds. Dave