News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'61 front seat bottom removal

Started by timer2, November 08, 2019, 11:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timer2

I'd like to remove the bottom cushion of my '61 deville to get at the 6 way motor and drive unit under the seat. The manual doesn't help much in way of removing just the bottom cushion. I hope it isn't like the back seat, requiring brute strength cause I can't seem to get it to budge one iota using the pushback and lift sequence. The 6 way seat option works fine except it's a little sluggish in a couple directions. I'd like to just clean it up and regrease the thing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks    T. Irvin

Dan LeBlanc

You'll have to unbolt the seat from the floor and tip it up to access.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

David Greenburg

I haven’t had occasion to do this on my ‘61, but I’ve done it many times on ‘59 and ‘60’s, and I’m sure it’s very similar.  You just undo the bolts at each corner of the seat, and then you can tilt the seat back for access to the motor and mechanism. A couple of 2x4’s can be helpful to prop it up. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

timer2

Thanks, I'll get after it tomorrow.  T. Irvin

Big Fins

I would disconnect the battery first. Should you hit one of the switches and have the ground wire removed, you become the ground. It gives a nice tingle when you least expect it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

timer2

Update- before I removed the corner bolts, I put the tilt...front and back...in it's highest position. This made getting at the floor bolts much easier. I then removed the moldings at the bottom of the seat, two on each side. I didn't have to use 2x4s to support the seat, I just let it tip back against the back seat. I removed, disassembled and lubricated the transmission, lubed the slide rails and used a square head bit in a cordless drill to run the horizontal rails back and forth several times on each side. I also spray lubed every pivot point on the mechanism. It's now quiet and doesn't labor to move the seat in any direction. The only help I needed was from my wife (she had to push the tilted seat back forward so I could get a couple floor bolts started) and, of course, you guys. Thanks     T. Irvin