News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Thinking of buying this

Started by atime, October 31, 2019, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Looks decent.    Is it close enough to you that you can go inspect it yourself and drive it home?

Good question about the 2 door vs 4 door.   From what I have seen the 2 doors don't seem to have the extra value they used to have.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

For Collector value, and just plain "cool", the Coupes get the nod, but for practicality for more that two people, the Sedan gets the nod.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

BJM

A Coupe with similar mileage likely would be more, but not much.  I like it for $4000 but not $8000.  I personally do not care for the 77-79 SdVs as much as the coupes.  The Coupes with the fixed rear window have balance and beauty.  The SdV's look truly 3 box to me.  The 75-76 SdVs have that extra opera window which I personally like. 

I still like it, but for me it's a $4000 "nice" car.  $8000?  no way.

chrisntam

I think $8k (thousand) is fair price for a good condition old Cadillac. I didn't read the ad, but if all is working, I'd think it's a buy.  If the buy price is $8k and it needs an ess-load of work, then it's a pass.  Expensive items are engine, paint and interior.  $8,000.00 isn't all that much money these days...

I'll go back and read the ad.

Engine (valve covers specifically) look to have more oil on them than 26k miles.  Does he have doc supporting the mileage claim?  Why the AK plates and it's in Reno?  He reports leaks, you could spend $1000 on sealing leaks (paying a mechanic).  A/C repair could be $1000.  Rust on an AK car?  Why did a 26k mile car need a repaint?

Highly suggest an in person inspection to determine its true condition.  Drive and run it's through it's paces to confirm what works, what doesn't and costs to repair what doesn't.

4 door cars are starting to grow on me...

My dad bought a '77 Olds 88 new, it was a nice riding/driving car, I would expect this car to be the same or better.  The tri 7s are becoming popular ('77, '78 & '79).  If I had room and a thumbs up from the wife, I'd be in the market for one, but currently, its a no and a no.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

As I see this one, yes, it would be a 26k mile car, and if it checks out in person would be a good buy at $8k.  3x black is not so common in these cars, so there's a bit of a premium for that - they always fetch a little more, say 10-15%.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I think the premium for 3x black versus a typical earth tone combo of
this era commands closer to a 100% premium - in other words, nearly
double. It may sound like a lot, but when you go to sell, you get it all
back and the car will also sell a lot faster.

I looked this one over but the fact of being a repaint holds it back somewhat.
Seats have a bit more wear than would be expected of 26K miles but leather in
1977 DeVille never seemed to resist wear very well and the back seat was also
used quite a bit more than average on one of these. On the plus side, the dash
trim and especially the woodgrain inlay in the steering wheel rim appears complete
and in excellent condition. The importance of this cannot be understated.

The bumper rub strips in early 1977 had been recalled for warpage as these
have done but not all customers bothered if the warpage hadn't begun which
unfortunately is the case here. Those might be difficult to find. A good detailing
would do wonders for this car, starting with a set of headlight adjusters and
correct size WW tires! Car is very well equipped too. Properly set up and detailed
to the nines, I could see this car bringing as much as $10K. 

Figuring a good $2K to put it in order (assuming no major surprises),
$6,000 - $6,500 is fair. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

BJM

We will have to see where it ends up but that $8000 Buy It Now has been out there for 2 days with no takers.  That to me means some bidders believe they can get it for $6000 or so and believe it is better purchased in that range.  Virtually everybody loves 3x black cars.  If you want it, and don't want to lose out, then I would grab it.  Eric is probably correct here in that you will be able to sell it down the line if you want to try something else.  No one I know is going to put more than 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year on this car touring and showing it, or just driving around, so that gives you about a 10 year or so cushion and it would STILL be considered low mileage.  I think driving the darn thing would help it.

35-709

"Virtually everybody loves 3x black cars."

:)  Using all-inclusive terms like that is a good way to ensure that your statement is totally, absolutely, positively, without doubt --- incorrect.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Suffice to say that 3x black brings a significant market premium compared
with the alternatives typically seen in cars (and Cadillacs) of this era.

For a '77 SdV in it's present state and mediocre presentation to have already
been bid to $4K at such an early stage is a fairly good indication. That figure is
closer to where the bidding typically closes on one of these - not in the first few
days.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

colorado4x4

The six cans of R-12 are probably worth $600 or so alone
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

chrisntam

Quote from: colorado4x4 on November 01, 2019, 04:23:50 PM
The six cans of R-12 are probably worth $600 or so alone

They can be had around Dallas for $20 to $25 per can...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

My two cents:

Agree with much of the posters.  Eric knows these cars, and I agree triple black is a huge deal.  It would probably cost more to re-paint the car properly than it is worth, so a desirable color is a plus.

You will probably need to replace almost all rubber components such as but not limited to belts, hoses, window-trunk-door rubber seals, brake lines, fuel lines, vacuum hoses, tires, and the like to enjoy a reliable driver.  And you should replace the timing chain, which leads to a bunch of other minor mite as wells - such as oil pan gasket and rear main seal.  The transmission should be resealed and softy parts inside replaced.  These are all recommended and I bought a car like this and di all those things.  Replacing rubber ac hoses and O rings will probably fix any ac leak, although leak could be compressor seals.  These are all items that you can do over the course of two years or so and parts might be in the 3k range.  After this it will last another 30-40 years of reliability.

If buying a closed car, the four door is better to me, as you are bound to giving some passengers around.  Buy what you like.  In the two door (and 4d) models for 1977-79 Cadillacs the windows are framed so the coupe factor is lower.  And for me unless it is a two door - closed car only model, such as 63-81 Riviera, a four door is preferred. 

Hope you enjoy it!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on November 02, 2019, 12:39:46 PM

If buying a closed car, the four door is better to me, as you are bound to giving some passengers around.

If those passengers are twenty- or thirty- something that won't move out, however the two door eldorados of the 80s and 90s are *perfect* when you make them ride in the back seat!

:o  >:D  ;D

(OK, so I hadn't realized *how* small it was when I tossed three adult daughters in the back to drive to church!)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)