News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Instrument Cluster Glass

Started by CraigD, December 20, 2019, 11:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigD

I had several cracks in my 1940 LaSalle instrument cluster glass. To replace it, I took the original glass, scanned it, and used Photoshop to “clean it up.” (This may sound simple, but it took me many hours to clean it up.) I then sent the cleaned up version to VistaPrint and had a decal made. I cut a piece Lexan to the correct size and applied the decal. I am very pleased with the results. I am willing to share the file I sent to VistaPrint. I had to use a large decal for the whole instrument cluster to fit on, so I put two copies of the instrument cluster on it as well as the radio glass decal that I had to replace earlier using the same technique. I am quite willing to share this file with anyone who wants it. Just contact me with your email address and I will send the file and more detailed instructions.
1940 LaSalle Model 52 Special
1967 Oldsmobile Toronado
2007 BMW 530i
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Tom Boehm

Very clever and resourceful. That piece has not been available since Scott Young stopped production. Here is a link to a source for the radio glass only.https://www.radiodaze.com/1940-cadillac-lasalle-radio-dial-glass-set-item-dg-462/

39LaSalleDriver

Essentially that is what I did with my 39. However I took my file to a company that was able to print a white decal with laser cut out letters. All I had to do was peel the extra materials off, line it up on my salvageable original glass, and press it on. Looks factory original now.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

spolij

Craig I don't understand. what was cracked the clear glass or the face of the instrument panel.

CraigD

There were two sheets of glass. The outer one has the lettering for the "titles" of each gauge (Gasoline, Oil Pressure, etc.) and the numbers for the speedometer. The color is an off-white/gray. I am assuming that this is not just a discolored white. The inner one which was cracked in three of the four corners with a small part of the glass missing has the 5 MPH gradations for the speedometer and the rest of the gauge information in white. I am assuming that because the colors are slightly different, they did the different colors on different panes of glass. Otherwise, I don't know why there were two panes of glass, each with silk screening on them. I did everything on one decal.
1940 LaSalle Model 52 Special
1967 Oldsmobile Toronado
2007 BMW 530i
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

spolij

Weird but i understand. Maybe it was done to give the area some visual depth.
Any way great fix.