News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'53 front drum brake HELP !!

Started by Brett S, February 18, 2020, 11:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl Chesterman

Brett, I hope you are taking the opportunity to free up and lubricate each of the adjusters, while the drums are off.  You will have to do a brake adjustment when you get everything back together, and that can't be accomplished unless the adjusters turn freely!

Daryl Chesterman

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

After having done this on our 55 let me just say.this-- You really need to replace all the wheel cylinders if you don't know their history. If there is evidence of a leak (you have it by the unexplained gunk) they need to go.
Don't forget, even for a minute,  that it is a single circuit brake system
You hit them hard and blow out a seal you have a real problem.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Brett S on February 19, 2020, 09:18:20 PM
Wheel cylinder was pretty easy too, release the top springs for the shoes and unbolt the wheel cylinder.... at least that one was.... I still have 3 more to do.

Quote from: Daryl Chesterman on February 20, 2020, 10:52:21 PM
Brett, I hope you are taking the opportunity to free up and lubricate each of the adjusters, while the drums are off.  You will have to do a brake adjustment when you get everything back together, and that can't be accomplished unless the adjusters turn freely!

Daryl Chesterman

I suggest you do what is called a "major" adjustment, which is explained in the shop manual.  This involves using a feeler gauge through a slot in the perimeter of each drum to adjust the position of the anchor pin which holds the top springs for the shoes.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."