News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Purchased Indy Pace Car 43 Today

Started by 76eldo, February 12, 2020, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6caddy2

Fantastic car Brian!!! Hope it brings you the enjoyment that only a car like that can!!! Owned a few of the Indy pace cars "69" Camaro's, should've keep one, but young and dumb, looking at yours brings back some great memories for me, thanks for sharing your photos and your time spent in FL with us!!
             Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

76eldo

Thanks guys.
The 69 Pace Car Camaro is one of my favorite cars of all time.

Charles, dig out your 73 parts and make me a list.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on February 12, 2020, 10:27:31 PM
The actual pace cars were highly modified. From a
Cammed up 1970 500 inch motor to highly modified suspension to a lot
Of other factory tricks. There is a book Tim Prawl has put together on these cars.

Greg Surfas

The 1973 pace cars had 1970 engines in them?? Didn't know that. Were ALL of hem like that or only the ones on the track that day?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

Prolly just the cars used to pace the race would be my guess.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Brian,

Awesome purchase.  You really did it right by selling a car before buying another.  Was your Seville sold to an owner across the pond?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

hornetball

Quote from: chrisntam on February 16, 2020, 05:01:26 AMProlly just the cars used to pace the race would be my guess.

I'm certain it would only be the two intended for track duty.  As a manufacturer, GM would not have been able to transfer these cars for road use as they would not meet 1973 emissions standards.

I've had a '70, '73 and now a '74.  From a general driving perspective, they don't feel much different.  The mission of the 500 is to make torque.

76eldo

Scot,

Just across the PA line in Ohio. So it stays here.

As far as the heavily modified Pace Cars there were 2 according to Tim Pawl.
One for use and one as a back up. They had the AC systems remover to save weight.

Must be a real quick eldo if they are still around.

Mine is still mostly original paint and has the original top.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

carlhungness

I remember the car and the race well. I published my first Indianapolis 500 Yearbook in '73, a race that started on Sunday and ended on Wednesday after only 322 miles had been run. The event was a mess created by rain, crashes, death of a pit worker.
      Glad to see you have a wonderful vehicle from that year, it's one branded in my mind.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike just the two track cars. According to Robert Templin there were “a few” mods that were. Ever discussed in public.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

spolij

I'm not into NASCAR so my question is why would you have to "heavy modify" a car to be a pace car?

hornetball

This is for Indy cars, not NASCAR, but the same principle applies.  Those cars have to run fast enough to not overheat and try to keep some temperature in the tires.  What is barely loafing for them is max+ for a street car.

RossDeVore

Brian,

Congrats! I've had a soft spot for these myself. Happy you have it and will take great care of it. Tim Pawl is a wealth of information on these cars. Fifteen years ago he helped me verify my Bicentennial Eldorado, he even wrote an article about identifying them for the self starter and used the information from my car. Was thinking about him last weekend when I went on a "rescue run" for the first 1971 Eldorado Convertible made. It has a long way to go before looking anywhere as nice as your Pace Car.

Regards,

Ross DeVore

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The (actual)_ pace car had to meed performance standards which included driving with the top down, a load of 6 people, additional radio equipment (weight) and be able to accelerate to approximate 120 MPH.  Believe it or not it then had to stop from 120 MPH in a reasonably straight line within the distance of the it road entry, (approx 1/4 mile).
All this without that (then) well admired Eldo wallow.
I would suggest you get Tim Prawl's booklet.  It is VERY interesting and factual.
Greg Surfas

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

The car arrived late last night, or should I say early this morning.  The car was picked up in Jupiter Fl late in the afternoon on Tuesday.  Much to my delight it ended up in an enclosed car carrier.  I got a fantastic rate from a broker I have dealt with before that only uses trusted drivers.  I was told on Tuesday to expect the car some time on Thursday.

I got a call from the driver Wed at 2:00 and he said that they were running late and to expect the car "later today".  I asked him how that was possible and he said they drive all night Tuesday and were already in Virginia but blew two tires on the right side of the truck and damaged the rims.  They were waiting for a roadside repair on their rig and were coming even if it's late because they have to have a Mercedes in NY Thursday morning.  By 11:00 I figured they had stopped for the night but no, they were about an hour away.

So at a little past midnight they pulled up in front of my house and unloaded the car.  No damage, it fired right up, and every light on the car works including the fiber optic tell tale's on the front fenders.

So the adventure begins.  My great friend Joe Caristo came over after work today to check the car out and we have a game plan forming to make the car as nice as possible.

Stay tuned for more info.  Thanks for all of your supportive comments.  I am excited to have this car in my collection.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

hornetball

PLEASE do a build thread.  Cool cars.  Those truckers work hard.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 76eldo on February 20, 2020, 06:50:49 PM
...... but blew two tires on the right side of the truck and damaged the rims.  Brian   
I hope that the blowouts were not from poor maintenance, overloading or driving too fast for the conditions.   As they were carrying valuable cargo

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 20, 2020, 07:30:24 PM
I hope that the blowouts were not from poor maintenance, overloading or driving too fast for the conditions.   As they were carrying valuable cargo

Bruce. >:D

Tires were prolly more than 10 years old but had plenty of tread and looked fine.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

J. Skelly

Quote from: RossDeVore on February 20, 2020, 05:22:11 PM
Brian,

Congrats! I've had a soft spot for these myself. Happy you have it and will take great care of it. Tim Pawl is a wealth of information on these cars. Fifteen years ago he helped me verify my Bicentennial Eldorado, he even wrote an article about identifying them for the self starter and used the information from my car. Was thinking about him last weekend when I went on a "rescue run" for the first 1971 Eldorado Convertible made. It has a long way to go before looking anywhere as nice as your Pace Car.

Regards,

Ross DeVore

Ross,

How about starting a restoration thread on the first '71 Eldorado convertible?  Since it was the first FWD convertible since the '37 Cord, it was a car that GM should have kept.  I hope you can bring it back to its past glory!  Wasn't VIN #1 (a coupe) in Texas and posted on Ebay or Craigslist a year or so ago?

Texas
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

chrisntam

I recall Dennis Collins of Collins Brothers Jeep had it.  Don't know if he still does...  CBJ is located in Wylie, TX a northern suburb of Dallas.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas