News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 -60 Special, hood problems

Started by Hilarius, August 10, 2018, 09:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Please post clearer pictures of your hinges to allow folks a better understanding of your situation.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Caddy Wizard

I suspect that the issue is that the hinges are not working as designed any longer now that the the rivets have been replaced (some with rivets, some with BOLTS).  I especially suspect the bolts are not allowing easy rotation at that axis, changing the motion of the overall system.  I don't think it has anything to do with the springs, actually.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

35-709

I have used SMS Auto Restoration Services and was very happy with their work --- '73 Cadillac.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Omarine

Thanks Art and 35-709,

In my case, the rivets seem to be in tact. The bolts hold the hinges to the cowl and thats it. Will observe hinges some more and give it a try
1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop

Jerome506237DX

Did you already try to loosen the 'bolts' which connect hood with hinge? As Art said as well, I think friction is your culprit.
1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

Hilarius

Hi Art and Jerome,
first of all, friction is not the culprit. Everything works smoothly as long as the springs are not attached. Even with springs of lower power the system works. Once you put the big ones on, mayhem occurs.
I have added a few more pics but it is impossible to shoot good pictures of the whole of the hinges. Parts of the hinges are scratched where they had hit the hood from the inside.
As Art says, I, too, am convinced that it has nothing to do with the springs, but it is a question of hinge geometry. Again: I have positioned the new pivot points as exactly centered in place of where the rivets were, before. Any ever so small deviation should not have such consequences.
The seller of my car had this problem, as the springs were left off and the rivet points were worn and the fenders dented when I got the car.
Others, as we can read have the same problem, so I keep thinking it is due to faulty construction for 1952/53 that the hinges give up after some time.
What I might do is weld some of the pivot points closed and set new ones a trifle farther back towards the cowl. Have to take a look one of these days if it is possible, after all, without parts getting into the way of each other.
Hilmar
Hilmar Schneider #26898
1930-162, "353", 4D-SDN-7P
1940-7567, 2D-CCP-2/4P
1948-7519X, 4D-SDN-5P
1952-6019X, 4D-SDN-5P
1973 Mercedes 107R, 2D-CCP-2P
2015 Cadillac SRX, 4D-SDN-5P

Roger Zimmermann

You will certainly jump by happiness with my suggestion: remove one or both fenders so you will see what happens and maybe why!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Hilarius

Had also considered that option, but am certain I wouldn't get any closer to the causes of the problem by having a better look.
Hilmar
Hilmar Schneider #26898
1940-7567, 2D-CCP-2/4P
1948-7519X, 4D-SDN-5P
1952-6019X, 4D-SDN-5P

Roger Zimmermann

At least you would not damage the front fenders when the hood is moving forwards!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Hilarius

Roger,
taking off the fenders is a lot of work, considering that it requires removing also many other components as the fuel line, several electric lines, all of the front chrome and more, the whole of the front clip, in other words.
Comparing that to the unlikely outcome of changing anything by getting a better look, is futile, especially in light of the fact that the hinge action, or wrong-action, is visible from in front before the hood is down about two thirds of the way and obstructs the view.
It is clearly seen that the lever which accomodates the spring travels backwards as it should most of the way and then, before the hood closes, jumps forward with the results described.
As long as I read nothing definite about curing the present condition I'll stick to the hood prop. Unfortunately!
Hilmar.

Hilmar Schneider #26898
1940-7567, 2D-CCP-2/4P
1948-7519X, 4D-SDN-5P
1952-6019X, 4D-SDN-5P

Jerome506237DX

Good afternoon Hilmar, let me try to explain why I still think friction might be your problem. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, or stubborn or.....(fill in whatever you might think ;)) I'm trying to help. Maybe you already figured out what I'm trying to explain, sorry then!

I made 2 short videos of my hood closing. (that was harder than I expected, on my own  :D)

As you can see in the 2nd video, the part of the hinge with the spring attached travels up and to the back of the car. Before this point (where the spring is attached to the hinge) reaches it's top, the resultant force of the spring pulling, will be towards the front of the car, because this point is still in front of the lower pivot point. When I close the hood a little further, this point (where the spring is attached to the hinge) will be past it's top position and aft of the lower pivot point, so the resultant force of the spring pulling will be towards the aft of the car.

I suspect the Allen bolt (Innensechskantbolze) you have used to replace the rivet with, might be too tight. This will cause the part of the hinge I'm referring to not being able to travel past it's top position, so the resultant force of the spring pulling will remain to the forward of the car. If this Allen bolt is already loose, maybe other pivotpoints need lubrication. The part of the hinge I'm referring to doesn't travel far past it's top position.

https://youtu.be/UYjG1RCfmXM
https://youtu.be/V5Jbebgd4gI

Once again, I'm only trying to help!

Good luck.

Jérôme
1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

Hilarius

Hi Jérôme,
I expressly welcome your input, Be sure of that!
One of these days, when next I get to check on the car, I shall keep in mind what you wrote about possible frictional difficulties.
Thank you for the videos; I'll keep you informed. Might take a few days, though.
Hilmar.
Hilmar Schneider #26898
1940-7567, 2D-CCP-2/4P
1948-7519X, 4D-SDN-5P
1952-6019X, 4D-SDN-5P

D.Didier

Bonjour, je suis nouveau et donc certainement maladroit pour naviguer sur le site, veuillez m'en excusez.

Je rencontre ce problème de fermeture de capot sur ma Cadillac 60s de 1953.
Il y a t il une véritable solution?
Le capot fonctionnait bien et un jour il s'est bloqué
J'ai refais tous les axes des charnières mais c'est toujours pareil.
Est-ce la position des ressorts ? (plusieurs crans en bas)
Est-ce le serrage des vis de fixation capot/charnière ?

Donc je suis Didier D. j'ai 60 ans (pas 60S ;) et je restaure une Cadillac de 1953 Fleetwood 60s sedan avec patience car ce n'est pas ce qu'il y a de plus simple à restaurer , notamment pour un Français qui ne parle pas l'anglais!

En vous remercient pour votre aide

Hilarius

Bonjour á vous!
Je regrets de ne pas parler francais assez bien pour vous répondre exactement comme je pourrais le faire en anglais ou en allemand.
Alors, it y avait assez de correspondance sur le Cadillac site concernant le capot des Cadillacs de ces années, que je peu dire qu'il n'y a pas une rémedie quand le capot a décidé de ne plus fonctionner.
Bien sure ce ne sont pas les points qui vous a déscribe comme la position des ressorts sur le crans en bas, ni le serrage des vis de fixation.
Moi aussi, j'ai refais tous les axes des charnieres ainsi que l'ont fait beaucoup des autres gents sur ce site, sans succes.
Il semble que apres certain années de usage ces axes ne sont plus firmement centré et le capot ne fonctionne plus.Quand on les refait les points de tournage ne sont très exactement les memes comme auparavant par une ou deux millimetres et toute la chose ne fonctionne plus. Il semble impossible de trouver les exact points.
J'ai essayé une million fois des les reposer mais toujours en vain.
Enfin, j'ai laissé les ressorts sans fonction et j'a posé une barre pour arreter le capot ouvert. Je regrets de ne pas pouvoir vous aider. Si parchance vous trouvez une possibilité d'arranger le capot justement, n'hesitez pas de le publier sur ce site.
Prier d'excuser le francais - je suis Allemand.
Hilmar Schneider #26898
1940-7567, 2D-CCP-2/4P
1948-7519X, 4D-SDN-5P
1952-6019X, 4D-SDN-5P

D.Didier

Hello and thank you for your answer, well done for your "French"
I also received a response from Roger which I thank again.

I will continue to study this problem of closing the hood and if I find a solution, obviously I will communicate it on the forum.

Bonjour et merci pour votre réponse , bravo pour votre "Français"
J'ai reçu également une réponse de Roger.

Je vais continuer à étudier ce problème de fermeture du capot et si je trouve une solution, bien évidement  je la communiquerais sur le forum.

D.Didier

Hello, I am posting an English translation of my previous message in French:

Hello, I am new and therefore certainly awkward to navigate the site, please excuse me.

I am having this problem with the hood closing on my Cadillac from the 60s of 1953.
Is there a real solution?
The hood worked well and one day it got stuck
I redid all the hinge pins but it's still the same.
Is it the position of the springs? (several notches at the bottom)
Is the tightening of the hood / hinge fixing screws?

So I am Didier D. I am 60 years old (not 60S;) and I restore a Cadillac of 1953 Fleetwood 60s sedan with patience because it is not what is easier to restore, especially for a French who doesn't speak english!

Thank you for your help

Bonjour, je suis nouveau et donc certainement maladroit pour naviguer sur le site, veuillez m'en excusez.

Je rencontre ce problème de fermeture de capot sur ma Cadillac des années 60 de 1953.
Il y a t-il une véritable solution?
Le capot fonctionnait bien et un jour il s'est bloqué
J'ai refais tous les axes des charnières mais c'est toujours pareil.
Est-ce la position des ressorts? (plusieurs crans en bas)
Est-ce le serrage des vis de fixation capot / charnière?

Donc je suis Didier D. j'ai 60 ans (pas 60S ;)et je restaure une Cadillac de 1953 Fleetwood 60s sedan avec patience car ce n'est pas ce qu'il y a de plus simple à restaurer, notamment pour un Français qui ne parle pas l'anglais!

En vous remercient pour votre aide[/i][/i]