News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Why is my LaSalle so....plain?

Started by z3skybolt, April 18, 2020, 06:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaSalle5019

Plain, huh?  I think that's all a perspective of the times. To the buyers of the day, the 1939 LaSalle interior (and exterior to some extent) took on a more modern look.  This carried into the 1940 models. So, when you compare it to the typical Art Deco styling of the day, it was a departure towards the future.  When you say it looks like your 1951 Chevrolet I guess they succeeded in bringing a much more modern approach - 11 years ahead of the times.  It was a cleaner look compared to the typical cars of the day. I kind of like the more luxurious bling and art deco styling you refer to (since it's a departure of the more modern look I'm used to) but if you look at sales, it seems like twice as many people preferred the LaSalle over the Cadillac's.  I'm sure price played a big role but perhaps the new modern styling played a role too.  They didn't kill the brand due to lack of sales.
Scott

z3skybolt

Indeed Scott,

LaSalle was a tremendous success and biting into Cadillac for sure. Don't get me wrong. I love my LaSalle and after driving her over 7,000 miles.... it gives every indication of being a quality automobile.  All of you have helped me process the initial impression which I have held during my four years of ownership.  It helps sometimes to have other shed light....especially when it is positive and well thought out.  For me it has been a lesson in the relationship between social attitudes and automotive design during that era.                                         

Kind of ironic.... after posing this question I reviewed a 1940 Cadillac 4 door convertible that is listed for sale. There was a nice photo of the dash. Guess what?  The dash of that Cadillac is exactly the same "plain" one as in my 1940 LaSalle!!  So there you go, visual evidence of what Cadillac as well as LaSalle owners considered "class" in 1940.  I think that is what you were trying to say Scott.

SEE IT HERE.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1940-cadillac-series-62-convertible-sedan/
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

jdemerson

I've always like that dashboard -- so elegant and with clean lines.

The differences between LaSalle and Cadillac interiors in general (not the dashboard) are still intriguing.  I'm attaching an interior shot of a 1940 Sixty Special, for contrast.

John
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: z3skybolt on April 20, 2020, 11:02:27 AM
Perhaps a LaSalle buyer was more interested in the "Cadillac" quality of a LaSalle than a plush interior.

Honestly, I have long felt that this is exactly the point of LaSalles. As we all know, pretty much everything was identical between the two lines except for h.p. and the trimmings. This is where the price differential seriously comes into play. I've never driven a '39 Cadillac, but I'd be willing to bet that in a blindfold test, I couldn't tell you if I were driving one of those or my '39 LaSalle.

As others have touched on, there is also a difference between things like style, class, and ornateness. There is a saying in the vintage clothing world that "fashion is fleeting, but style is forever." It holds true in the car world too or we all wouldn't be driving vintage Cadillacs.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I believe the difference in base price can shed some light on the “bling” quotient.

1940 LaSalle Series 52 4 Dr  Sedan - $1446
1940 Cadillac Series 62 4 Dr Sedan - $1745
1940 Cadillac Series 60 Special Sedan - $2090

Comparing base prices, the Cadillac 62 was 21% more while the 60 Special was 45% more than the LaSalle. Those are large differentials that have to be reflected in the products. The base price on the lowest priced Seiries 75 five passenger sedan, with those beautiful interiors, was $3280 or 2.25 times the cost of the LaSalle
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

jdemerson

^^  I think that Ralph's comments have a LOT to do with the difference between LaSalle's and Cadillac's  interiors in 1940. The LaSalle sold relatively well because of price and because of the very attractive and somewhat unusual exterior style.

I just looked up 1940 Buick Limited models. Their interiors are tasteful and very luxurious. I don't know their prices, but am betting that some models of Limited ran higher than LaSalle's. I DO know that GM became concerned about Buick encroaching on Cadillac territory in the early 1940s. In fact the next Buick Limited after 1940 didn't appear until 1958.

I believe that GM made the right call to discontinue the LaSalle after 1940 and to replace it with Cadillac Series 61. Still, I think that the 1939-40 LaSalles were stunning and excellent cars. It all had to do with marketing and pricing.

An aside: A friend here in VT and occasional contributor to this message board, Wes Paro, has a beautiful black 1940 LaSalle 4-door convertible -- perhaps the ultimate Lasalle. It is one of the nicest "drivers" i've ever seen.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn