News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A.C.Delco power sterring fluid ???

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, April 23, 2020, 01:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   Is there another brand that is the same as AC delco Fluid ?

Thanks ,
          Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

TJ Hopland

Are you asking because you are reading the original manual for what type of fluid to use and all it says its AC Delco with no more details or clues what the modern equivalent may be?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Jon S

What year Cadillac are we talking - 1970?  For my 1958 it was Type A transmission fluid.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There are some differences between power
steering fluid and transmission fluid, mainly
in the detergents and friction modifiers.

However, that being said, in cars made prior
to 1980, those older PS systems are fine with
using ATF.  In newer vehicles with more
sophisticated designs (such as rack & pinion, etc.)
the PS system should have the proper fluid.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Balkie 24172

Recently I had to disconnect my  low pressure hose to change a clamp and the fluid looked to
Be an auburn in color . I lost the amount that was in the hose . Now not sure what to replace it with . Unless i drain the whole system .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

If it's your 1970, top it up with transmission
fluid and forget about it.  That's what I've done
for years without issue.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

EAM 17806

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on April 23, 2020, 09:18:44 PM
If it's your 1970, top it up with transmission
fluid and forget about it.  That's what I've done
for years without issue.

Mike
Why not use what the car manufacturers state to use as the proper fluid called " POWER STEERING FLUID" made by Prestone and many other name brand fluid companies; incidentally,  AC Delco is more than likely made and produced in Communist China - do you guys/gals still trust it's quality today?  EAM
'
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Flyer

AC Delco Power Steering fluid is still available at most GM dealers and many auto parts stores price will vary from $10-15 a quart. Why not use what the manufacturer calls for when available? Is there a better product?

TJ Hopland

I would agree with what I think others have said here that for most of the Cadillac's we are talking about it really doesn't seem to matter.  I have used Dex/Mec trans fluid.  I have used various brands of PS fluid as well as hydraulic fluids and not noticed any difference.   I have likely even mixed all of the above and not noticed anything.   I think our pumps are usually well broke in and I don't think the recirculating ball steering boxes are that picky either. 

I would note that anyone with the hydroboost brakes (76-78 Eldo) should really make sure they keep up on fresh fluid and on those I have stayed with PS fluid.   The brake boosters have several seals and pistons in them that need to be kept happy.  They are pretty reliable units but are kinda like carbs in that it can be difficult to find someone that knows how to properly repair one.   Lots of horror stories out there of multiple units being changed out all coming back with different problems including screwing up the power steering response.   Lots of fun driving 5000+ pounds around not knowing when or if the power brakes and steering are going to randomly quit on you. 

One thing I have been doing for the last 20 or so years is every time I change the oil I also use some sort of sucking device to suck all the fluid out of the reservoir then replace it with fresh fluid.  I know its not as good as a full flush but its a heck of a lot easier and less messy.   I figure most of these system go 100K miles on original fluid with no issues so if I change 1/4 to 1/3 of it every 3K that should help and so far it hasn't seemed to hurt anything.   When I buy a new to me car I will do that then start it and cycle the wheels then exchange again and repeat till the fluid looks better.   On the hydroboost cars I will usually also do one extra cycle but since mine are diesels you have to start the engine as part of doing fuel filters so I have the engine running anyway. 

For a sucking tool you can buy one of those 'mighty vac' like tools which every DIY car person should own anyway or head to the $1 store and get a turkey baster.  You need to use the $1 store ones because most of them will be 1 time use when exposed to auto fluids.   If you do a lot of engine related DIY stuff I would highly recommend a much larger machine that is usually sold as a 'top side' oil changer. 

There are many brands of this tool now available from many places and I would say is a must have.  You can test and fix various vacuum systems on the car like the vacuum advance or heating and AC controls.   You can bleed brakes.   You can also change small fluids like PS.  Prices range $10-$50
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200798068_200798068

Then here is the one that if you do a fair amount of engine tinkering that is very useful.  I resisted for a long time but after I finally go it wish I had got it a long time ago.   Similar to the hand pump you just stick the hose in what ever fluid you want to suck then pull out the pump handle to build some vacuum.  The hose it comes with is small enough to fit down a dipstick tube so is really handy if you overfill something like a transmission or engine oil.  There are smaller ones and bigger ones and metal ones.   Price range is $50 and up.  They make 50 gallon shop units with electric pumps if you really want to go nuts.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_465467_465467

64\/54Cadillacking

I’ve always used Transmission fluid in my classics. It never has caused problems in any of my Cadillacs and Lincoln’s. As matter of fact I think ATF is better than PS fluid because of the added detergents and cleaning abilities.

There’s was one exception when I used to own a 93 Town Car and I accidentally put in Dexron/Mercon fluid, and the PS pump whined like crazy. I replaced it with Type F fluid (correct fluid) and it quieted it down. Should have read manual first.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah yes, the manual.

Many a transmission/power steering system/LSD has been hurt by the wrong fluid.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

The Ford type F has got me a couple times too.  I have not yet figured out why some need it and others don't.  Really odd since their transmissions haven't used it for a very long time.   It can be fairly difficult to find.

ATF's unique property has to be related to the fact that the auto transmissions we are talking about here have 'wet' clutches.  That has to be a real physics challenge.   How do you make something grip when its covered in what appears to be mostly a lubricant.   There must be some very unique properties about ATF related to the clutches that you don't find in a more typical 'oil'.  Is that trait a good thing for a power steering system?  Does it hurt?  I suspect it just doesn't matter.           

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on April 23, 2020, 01:05:26 PM
Hello ,
   Is there another brand that is the same as AC delco Fluid ?

Thanks ,
          Bill

When I flushed The Ark's power steering system a couple of years ago, I used current day AC Delco ATF, no problems.
The fluid was black and the pump was whining. Disconnected the hose under the pump and let it drain. Refill. Start the car, put it in gear (crucial), turned the wheel all the way left and right a few times. Stop, shut down, drain again, wash, rinse, repeat. Took about 6 evolutions to get the fluid red again in the pump. YMMV. Fluid is still red and pump is quiet.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

TJ Hopland

Why is putting the car in gear a crucial part of the process?

While we are talking about this process I/we should note that you do not want to do this process on blacktop or asphalt type of surface especially in the summer.  The tires could easily dig in on a warm day.    You will also likely leave marks on concrete or other finished surfaces.   Safely jacking the front wheels off or mostly off the ground will help with damage and could be required if you had let the system go dry for any reason.   The system primes and bleeds itself much easier with the reduced load. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 26, 2020, 10:26:14 AM
The Ford type F has got me a couple times too.  I have not yet figured out why some need it and others don't.  Really odd since their transmissions haven't used it for a very long time.   It can be fairly difficult to find.     
It is all about the internals and what materials are used by the makers to have compatible parts.

Take a Diff for instance.   A Cone LSD needs an oil that is "Grippy" whereas a Clutch LSD needs a "Slippy" oil.   Use a Grippy oil in a LSD requiring Slippy oil, and dangerous things can happen.   Did a Corvette diff once, and using the Grippy oil, the car behaved horribly going around corners.   Changed to the Slippy oil, and it drove beautifully.   The car was good in a straight line, but as soon as the differential action was required, when turning, it acted like a chaff cutter in a gravel field.

It is the same with any pump.   The engineers design the internals to work and if there is an oil that meets their requirements for long life, then that is what is needed.   In many cases, the oil companies are asked to design an oil that meets certain requirements if a product is not currently available.   And, they will.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon