News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 Fleetwood exhaust leak that sounds like it's coming from rear of engine

Started by scotth3886, May 06, 2020, 11:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

Quote from: gkhashem on May 07, 2020, 11:01:25 AM
why would you replace the intake? Is it cracked?

You replace the tube in side of it.  Its a straight tube the pulls hot air up to the external tube you see at the choke thermostat spring. (same material, as the external tube)

Btw, YES, it was cracked.  Really cracked.   Glad I found an intake before we took it apart.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: chrisntam on May 08, 2020, 11:06:14 PM
It's purdy!

8)

Compare the 429 manifold with the one for the 1968-76.

Look at how much more durable the latter one is.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Frank g

Hey guys . Im new here as of this reply my 1966 caddy deville convertible reals of exhaust on passenger side my best friend mechanic moved to florida so i have to fix my self im handy being a mason contractor and have done a tood amount of work on cars with my buddy but finding leak is the hard part. I wonder if i have the same issue as the gentlemen described. My wife doesnt want to ride in car till i resolve lol .sorry i probally shoildve.startred a new  thread but i get a feeling its manifold or this tube....ughhhh all help appreciated
Thankyou .frank.

scotth3886

Quote from: Frank g on August 07, 2021, 07:03:12 PM
Hey guys . Im new here as of this reply my 1966 caddy deville convertible reals of exhaust on passenger side my best friend mechanic moved to florida so i have to fix my self im handy being a mason contractor and have done a tood amount of work on cars with my buddy but finding leak is the hard part. I wonder if i have the same issue as the gentlemen described. My wife doesnt want to ride in car till i resolve lol .sorry i probally shoildve.startred a new  thread but i get a feeling its manifold or this tube....ughhhh all help appreciated
Thankyou .frank.

I was looking for this old thread of mine to post to the separate thread you created.

This is very likely your issue.  So the net of this is that your heat tube is likely broken plus maybe your intake is cracked just like mine was. 

You can get thick gaskets that block off the exhaust crossover entirely so this is what I did.  I believe the gaskets are made by a company named Olsen.

Frank g

Hey guys thank you all .so this heat tube runs through the manifold ? And am i hearing you correct you block the cross over and that eliminates.the heat tube issue ? Thankyou for help once again. You guys are all great !