News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Got the 1958 Out Today. Note Dressed Up Battery

Started by Jon S, May 14, 2020, 12:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexi

So as not to "muddy the waters", so to speak, I don't have a reason to doubt your comments. Cross purposes popped up here though; discussions on batteries from 2 different years. For those who are interested in originality & for judging, I hope that they can come away with some new information from this thread. Sometimes these discussions arise as a logical consequence and sequel to that posted. If a "major discussion item" was meant to infer that the topic is a burden, I am certain that is not how the other contributors see it. I am sure others found the information quite interesting both from a documentary perspective as well as from your personal experience. You provided invaluable input from someone who was there. This exchange of information should be what it is all about.  Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Well to me that car is beautiful,  and I don't see any problem with the battery.  I guess I misunderstood your initial post, I thought you were asking for information or advice, not that I have much to offer.
Anyway,  I think it's great that your car has been in the family since new. I really like the color, it's very close, if not the same,  as what mine is/was new. I want to keep it that color,  even though I love a red or white,  or a blue car, I find that the color on mine, and yours, isn't all that common anymore, at least not around here.
As for a battery for mine,  I really don't care if it isn't an exact match to what it had when it rolled out of the factory. In fact,  I'm thinking about moving it to another location, simply because of how hard it is to access. I can't imagine trying to lift and lower a 3EE battery in and out of my 56.
But your battery looks fine to me. If you hadn't said anything about it not being an original, I would never have known otherwise. I have to admit that your approach to the label is a better idea and definitely looks much better than the one with the black background on it.
Congratulations on your stickers, and enjoy the ride and stay safe.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

Yes it is a gorgeous car. And yes installing and removing a 3EE is no piece of cake. The battery from hell, as I call them. Also, try checking your fluid levels in the last 2 caps hidden under the fender. Best to remove the 4 inch hose. They are a PITA! Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: lexi on May 16, 2020, 12:25:32 PM
Yes it is a gorgeous car. And yes installing and removing a 3EE is no piece of cake. The battery from hell, as I call them. Also, try checking your fluid levels in the last 2 caps hidden under the fender. Best to remove the 4 inch hose. They are a PITA! Clay/Lexi

Yeah, I've thought that GM should have put in an access door and put the battery tray on tracks so that it could be slid out through the side of the fender for service or replacement. (Kidding of course, but it would be helpful.)
On my car in the condition that the paint is in now, I would probably attempt to install one, (meaning the original battery in the original location) but for a car with beautiful paint like yours Clay, I don't see how you could risk it.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Lexi

Paint not as great as you may think. Old lacquer from the 70s, but OK. I have taken the battery out several times. You have to tip it close to a 90 degree angle at one point to get it out. And remove quickly before elctrolyte leaks from the caps. Also, tie off your negative strap, lest it fall down into the chassis area when disconnected and moved out of the way. Clay/Lexi

signart

I'm not doubting any information from anyone here, I'm just researching. Being a collector and trader of all things vintage, as I research, I learn.
As I noted previously my admiration for Jon's beautiful '58, every bit as gorgeous if it had an Optima battery.
Art D. Woody