News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Newbie Question; With Regards to next Years Grand National Event in Albuquerque

Started by Rotorhead, June 03, 2020, 02:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotorhead

What is the typical event schedule and events during the Grand National? I see its in Albuquerque next July. We all know they are the car theft capital in the US right?...LOL

carlhungness

Personally and one who has written thousands of headlines, I think it's only reasonable to
state the nature of one's post in the headline to see if the rest of us want to read it or not. Hope this doesn't sound overly critical but it would save us time from clicking on a subject we can't comment on
or aren't interested in.
   This post for example could have easily said, "Newbie Question About Next Year's National".
   Initially I hoped it was mechanically related and hoped I might be able to assist.
   Then again I have all the respect in the world for one who has serviced our helicopters so it's easy to give a pass here.

chrisntam

I highly recommend attending a Grand National.  Been a member since '14, my car was finally road worthy enough to drive it from Dallas to the last two GNs, San Marcos (TX) and Louisville (KY).

The host region goes to great lengths to find quality excursions to attend, generally they start on Tuesday, ending on Friday.  The car show and judging occur on Saturday,   The excursions overlap and you have to pick / choose which ones you really want to attend due to the overlapping issue.

Albakerky (you try to spell it) is home to a high perf Cadillac shop, it'd be nice to have that as a stop on one of the excursions.  On one of the first days, they have a driving tour, I really enjoy that.  Most times the excursions fill up, so you have to sign up early. 

The host hotel also fills up early as well, most make the hotel reservations for the next year while attending the current GN.  There has been host hotel reps there to take the future reservations.

It's too bad that KC got cancelled, I was really looking forward to some of those tours.  Plus, my now deceased grandparents lived about 70 miles from KC, a visit to their small town was on the agenda, but not now.

At the host hotel, they generally have somewhat restricted access to where the cars are parked.  That's not to say a theft can't occur, but for the two years I've attended, I haven't heard of a theft.  Be sure your ride is properly insured.

HTH.

chris.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadman56

The Albuquerque GN will be special to me.  It is also the location of the Santa Fe 2926 steam locomotive that is in the final stages of a complete restoration.
Since I no longer see good enough to drive, after  enjoying all the gorgeous Cadillacs at the GN I will be at the locomotive site as much as possible.
I have been to several GN meets.  The host regions do have extra precautions for security and many tours and activities.  They are a wonderful place to meet like minded folks and make life long friends.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Rotorhead

Hey Carl no offense in regards to the header...It should have been more informative as to the content..(Lazy) lol.

We have relatives that live there so if we go we will stay with them. Albuquerque has an awesome outdoor gun range too....Long enough for 50 cals.

chrisntam

3/4 of the fun revolves around the host hotel, kinda like an all inclusive resort so to speak.  You walk out of your room to the events at the hotel, you mingle with other member there, you depart and return at the hotel for excursions.

I'd say have the relatives come visit you at the hotel!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

veesixteen

It will bring back fond memories of our first trip from Switzerland to the USA (June-July 1978); our kids were 3 and 4 years old. I remember it was HOT and we did not have A/C in the Dodge truck-camper we bought for the 6,000 mile adventure.

The photo was taken at Chuck Jordan's home in Grosse Pointe, MI, beside his custom '78 Trans-Am wagon (only 2 were built). 
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"