News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Rocker Panels

Started by CadillacGlasses, August 18, 2018, 11:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacGlasses

Has anyone restored rocker panels on a 1949 2 door? (either a coupe or a convertible) I'm trying to figure out if there are any reproductions that would get me started with the curved outers, but all the info on sites like Caddy Daddy and OPGI are really vague. Considering buying a 6ft 10in long sheet of 18 gauge and starting to roll it... which seems possible with some clamps, a long bench and some wood? Both inners and outers are rotted, but the outers were done really cheaply by the previously owner - attaching some photos

Thanks guys!!
M. Herbert

29645 - CLC West of Lake, CLCMRC Board Member

1949 Series 62 Conv. (in progress)

Joe V

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The ones referenced above are the way to go.  Vary reasonable and the dimensions were right on.  Just did this a few months ago. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

CadillacGlasses

Great thanks! I just ordered two and will update you guys with how it fits. From the photos they look fantastic. Do you guys have any experience with any body brace replacements as well? I'm gearing up to rebuild the front and rears on mine from measurements I've taken. The whole front corners are rotted out unfortunately. Thanks again.
M. Herbert

29645 - CLC West of Lake, CLCMRC Board Member

1949 Series 62 Conv. (in progress)

FabCad

A friend is looking for a rocker patch panel for a 49 sedanette. I don't see any on eBay or anywhere else. Anybody know a source for these?
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

fishnjim

I suspect if you don't have a donor car, you'll have to fab any supports.   Once the NOS sheet metal is gone, it's not as easy as buying a collision repair part.
Can be tricky without the tools, some heavy gauge.   Make sure you brace and understand what you cut, before you cut, or you'll have a mess.   Always best to cut the least of the original as welding will allow.   

FabCad

Thanks, guys. There are several manufacturers that make them for 50 and newer, but can't find any for 48/49. I guess there's not high enough demand-?
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible