News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removable/reusable plastic rivets?

Started by TJ Hopland, June 28, 2020, 11:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I'm finally getting around to installing the replacement set of rubber flap bits that go under the hood on my 73.   At some point someone on some forum suggested using a plastic rivet that was easily removed and reusable.   I can find similar things now but not the ones I was originally told about.   I have to check but I think the holes for these are 1/4 or maybe 5/16 so also fairly small.  Many of these types of fasteners seem to be closer to 3/8.

The reason I want to try finding a removable rivet is the reason these sorts of panels often disappear is they get removed to access some other repair or maintenance damaging the rivets in the process so they either don't get re installed or they get installed with worn clips and fall off.

With the warmer weather I have noticed my temps going up and am curious to see if having all this stuff in place (in the car instead of on a shelf) will help the cooling going down the road.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MikeLawson

Try looking the the Clips and Fasteners website, they carry a wide variety of reusable type fasteners.
Check out the splash shield retainers here:
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Autobody-Clips-And-Fasteners-s/151.htm

cadillac ken

Also check with Auveco.  online catalog.