News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Tires 76 Eldorado

Started by Cadillacdave, June 24, 2020, 07:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Can't complain about $64 delivered.   You can't hardly buy a bicycle tire for that these days.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

hornetball

They'll be perfectly fine . . . and, more importantly, safe!

78Elegante

Just surprised to read that a '76 Eldorado had, in todays equivalent, 235/75R15 tyres as I was under the impression that a Seville from the same year and up only has 205/75R15's. Is that correct?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Well, the Seville is a smaller vehicle?

One thing the Factories won't do is install any part that can be replaced by a cheaper component, even if it is the Customer that is buying it in the end.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

winger888

As a newbee may I ask what pressure you are running ? In the glove box of my 76 Eldorado it says 28 to 24 and 27 to 20 (!) Front to rear, two passengers or fully loaded.
I am running 32 to 30 and still feel its not enough and tires are bulging and getting to hot
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Peter,

Those factory pressures are correct for original tyres, and to get the best ride that the engineers designed into the car.

The '72 Eldo recommended pressures were way below that, but they were for Cross-ply tyres.   I know that the rear was 17 Psi. which was really low.

I run 40 Psi in the front, and 30 to 35 in the rear, but I don't mind a firmer ride, as I prefer handling over softness.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

70DeVille

I like these, 235/75 R15. 1 1/2" WW $104. Used them on a few '70 DeVilles.  Nice ride, reasonable price.

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/vitour-tires/galaxy-r1-whitewall/ty:Tire:ts:23575-15/
Michael

TJ Hopland

Quote from: winger888 on July 07, 2020, 04:36:13 AM
As a newbee may I ask what pressure you are running ? In the glove box of my 76 Eldorado it says 28 to 24 and 27 to 20 (!) Front to rear, two passengers or fully loaded.
I am running 32 to 30 and still feel its not enough and tires are bulging and getting to hot

I'm running 225 tires at 32 all around and think that is a reasonable compromise.   Even 35 I think it really starts to make the ride more harsh.  40 feels like a modern car with a rubber strip wrapped around the rim.    I have been doing it now for 25 years with at least 3 sets of different brand tires.   When I get new tires I have experimented but always seem to land back around 32. 

And yes especially the fronts do tend to bulge but radials do do that unless they are unloaded truck tires. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

FWIE I am running Hankooook Optimas on my 75 CDV and found they realllllly don't like wet weather.  Just my findings. I also remember my 72 Eldo never liked wet weather with any tires, so just a work of caution.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

winger888

Thank you for your input and giving me more confidence that I am doing the right thing. I will experiment with 35 to 33 next time.
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series