News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Brake drum outer spring

Started by Peter Cornwell, July 16, 2020, 01:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Cornwell

Yesterday I did a 550 mile round trip to collect some '41 Cadillac parts from a man who was hot rodding the '41 coupe he had bought. Rear axle complete with brakes, leaf springs, rear shocks, front wishbones complete with brakes, coil springs, front shocks, anti roll bar and four wheels, all for £40 or $50 which was a bargain in any ones books. A long drive here in England but it was worth the big trip just to have the spares there if I ever need anything, like insurance. I can already see some good shock absorber link arms which last winter I bought new!
My question is, when did Cadillac start to use brake drums with the spring around the outside of the drum as the ones on these I bought are like this but my '41 convertible coupe are not?
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

Jeff Hansen

Quote from: Peter Cornwell on July 16, 2020, 01:01:35 AM
My question is, when did Cadillac start to use brake drums with the spring around the outside of the drum ...

According to my 1942 Master Parts List, at least as far back as 1928.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Vince Taliano #13852

Peter,

Check out Chris Cummings's article starting on page 10 at http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.2006Newsletter.pdf,

Thanks.
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 4,000 pictures!)

Peter Cornwell

Thanks for the replies, very helpful, interesting article and magazine. Read it cover to cover.
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

Saturnin15

Sedan Deville 1956

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Saturnin15 on July 17, 2020, 07:45:03 PM
What they were for?

As the Vince's attached article explains, they eliminate
brake squeal when the petal is applied.  Nice article Vince
and thanks for the post.  I always wondered what those
springs were supposed to do!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Roger Zimmermann

It's strange that almost nobody here know the reason for those springs. I was fortunate enough to have still those on my 1956 de Ville when I bought it in 1982. The reason for those springs was immediately evident for me; as they were rusted, I let manufacture some sets by a spring factory from the region I'm living. I could use what I had bought for my '57 Brougham and '56 Biarritz.
By the way, a quick look at the literature (shop manual and parts list) would reveal those springs.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I thought that everyone knew that those springs were for stopping or limiting squealing brakes.

I was told that way back in the mid '60's when I began "playing" with cars.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

If you take these springs off what are the tricks to getting them back on again.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on July 18, 2020, 10:00:51 PM
If you take these springs off what are the tricks to getting them back on again.

Ask Art Gardner.  He developed a method to get the springs back on.  I think using a fixture of some sort.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on July 18, 2020, 10:00:51 PM

That's what I'd like to know too. I've got two that I need to put on, and I've wrestled and wrestled with them until I gave up in disgust.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

The Tassie Devil(le)

You have to be very careful.   VERY careful, as there is latent tension here.

I have found the best way is to have three people involved when the drums are on the car.

One to press on the brake pedal to stop the drum from turning, then with the steering turned inwards, so that the rear of the drum you are working on is out.

Then with the spring undone, and one end of the spring held tightly to the drum, hook a length of fencing wire with a loop on one end to hold the spring end, and on the other end, a larger loop around a piece of 1" dowel (broom handle), using the dowel as a handle, pull the spring tight and have the third person using a pair of multi grips, attempt to hook the two ends together.   Then cut the wire off, as it will be sort of stuck there.

Another method is to try and roll the spring on over the drum, expanding it as you go, but use gloves, as skin is the loser against steel.   Again, have the helper still pressing on the brake pedal.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Lexi

When they turn drums did they not wrap them (or were supposed to ) with large rubber braces years ago. That was to remove harmonic chatter when turning. Can now see why these springs would also do the same (and reduce squeal) when installed on drums, to fight against distortion. Going to look at mine and take Bruce up on his suggestions for extra help. Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

The installation of the rubber strapping around the drum when machining also keeps the operation of machining quieter which is good for a quiet workshop.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Lexi

Never thought of any of this stuff until this topic came up. Very interesting. Clay/Lexi