News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac XLR tail light lenses

Started by Tonyv_73, August 07, 2020, 10:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyv_73

hello, does anyone know if someone makes replacement lenses for cadillac XLR tail light or headlights? If not i can make them myself however I'd need a junk set to experiment with. 
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

67_Eldo

Cadman-iac

I don't have one, couldn't afford one, and even if I could,  wouldn't want one. Its a beautiful car,  but way beyond what I could ever hope to afford. But that aside,  this is typical for today's manufacturers. It's absolutely asinine!!
I remember my dad working on an old Rambler when I was a wee lad,  and he used to complain about how things were designed by engineers who couldn't care less about the poor sap who had to fix it.
Nothing has changed really. My thought has always been that the engineer should be made to work on what he/she designed, and then maybe they would be more considerate in the future.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

MaR

Quote from: Cadman-iac on August 07, 2020, 02:39:44 PM
I don't have one, couldn't afford one, and even if I could,  wouldn't want one. But that aside,  this is typical for today's manufacturers. It's absolutely asinine!!
I remember my dad working on an old Rambler when I was a wee lad,  and he used to complain about how things were designed by engineers who couldn't care less about the poor sap who had to fix it.
Nothing has changed really. My thought has always been that the engineer should be made to work on what he/she designed, and then maybe they would be more considerate in the future.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Rick
If you want to blame anyone, blame the bean counters. Engineering something to be completely functional, easy to assemble on the production line, and be easy to service later on will always cost more. Since there is virtually no value to be recouped by making something easy to service, that's the first thing to get cut out of a design.

Cadman-iac

That makes perfect sense.  I never thought about it that way,  but it does make perfect sense. 
And who are the bean counters accountable to? The CEO'S, whom I blame for a lot of this freakin' mess to begin with!
When they stopped making cars with beauty and because they wanted to provide people with a better means of transportation,  and started looking at how much money they could squeeze out of each sale, and quit trying to actually make a better product, they lost a lot of people's respect and loyalty.
I used to be a fiercely loyal GM supporter, and even gave them the benefit of the doubt about a lot of things,  but the last 10-15 years have proven that they don't deserve it.
I still love what they did in the past, all makes for that matter,  but none of them are worth even looking at now.
Little plastic turd boxes that are designed to be thrown away.
A shame really.  Who's doing more to help the environment these days? You and I are, by keeping these older cars going. There's no horrible factory emissions the second or third time around for these cars. We're doing our part to recycle and keep the countryside clean.

Enough said. I'll get off my soapbox.

I do hope you can find a way to either repair or replace your taillight. Good luck with the effort.

Rick
CLC# 32373

James Landi

Hi TOny,

I own a 2007 XLR--- and I discovered the Cadillac XLR Forum on Google .  Fascinating group of aficionados who love their cars, compare "war stories," and work hard to find parts ( and in some cases build them).    The XLR forum has a few fascinating features--- look under "sticky threads, and type in headlights--- there are literally hundreds of postings, including XLR used parts.   By the way, having own 2 dozen Cadillacs over my 74 years, the XLR is an extraordinary piece of design, engineering, as well as a durable and wonderful car to drive.  James

Cadman-iac

Tony,
As I read the article that 67eldo posted again,  I think you are going to have a very hard time just locating a junk set of taillights to practice on. As is typical for any of the manufacturers of late, repair pieces only need to be made available for, I think it's 7 years, and after that,  you're stuck with either the aftermarket,  or the salvage yard. So you're 2 or 3 years past the deadline the manufacturers had to keep parts for.
A truly sad state of affairs to say the least. The salvage yards can put an item out on their hot-line in hopes that another yard has it and is willing to part with it,  but being what it is, and what it's for, it's not going to be cheap. Unfortunately whenever you mention you have a Cadillac, the price goes up,  and the newer it is,  the higher it goes.
  The more sophisticated cars become, the worse this will get too. I personally think that it's a conspiracy between car makers and the government to make people have to get a new car every 4 or 5 years,  if it lasts that long,  and definitely replace it when the warranty expires.  Nobody could afford to have a newer car repaired after the warranty period is over. 
I would love to own a new car just once in my life,  but this is the main reason why I never have. I couldn't afford to trade in every other year or so,   so I would have to depend upon the car lasting at least 10 years, maybe more.  What car does that now? And still looks decent at the end, doesn't rot out, plastic falls apart? NONE!!
I feel for you! That's a CRAPPY situation that GM has put you in. I honestly hope you find a way to repair yours. I wish you the best of luck.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I always liked the XLR and thought it must be a
real hoot to drive.

At one of our Grand Nationals when the XLR first
debuted, Cadillac parked one in the hotel lobby and
rigged the top mechanism to fold and go into the
trunk once per hour.  It attracted a crowd.

That said, I almost can't believe that any engineer
would design a tail light like that.  It's as if they
went out of their way to make it as complex as
possible giving no thought to practicality or cost.

Good luck with your hunt for a replacement.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

J. Skelly

These XLRs should be recalled since this is a safety issue. 

I think Cadillac first used an LED strip 3rd light, mounted on the back of the 1992 Seville trunklid.  They draw less current and generate less heat, but the reliability isn't there yet. 

A co-worker complained bitterly about his 2007 SRX with a taillight that couldn't be readily removed to replace the bulb.  He now drives a tiny Lexus.  I wonder what GM is thinking (or not thinking) with some of these inexcusable, idiotic designs.

I just picked up my folks' 1989 Riviera today after getting a tune-up, oil change and coolant flush.  The older gentleman bringing the car up to me when it was done commented that this is one of the last of the good ones.  It's last tune-up was in 1998, and it was time for one.  You can clearly see out of all of the windows without the blind spots we see on most vehicles today. 
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

cadillacmike68

I was seriously considering getting one of these for my wife, but after reading about parts availability and top and other issues - No. I'd rather get her a vintage (1968-71) Skylark (or Cutlass) convertible.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

James Landi

Well folks, I "tool the plunge"... did extensive research, read all the negatives, and thought about the dilemma of a burnt out head or tail light.   Thus far, in my 5 year ownership, no issues, and reading the active XLR forum website, there continues to be a high level of satisfaction expressed by the hundreds of owners, many of whom, like me, who purchased a very low mileage car with a 75,000 price tag for an 80% discount.   Even ones that are daily drivers and have logged in nearly 200,000 are running well, and as is the case with folks on this site, XLR owners are highly creative, intelligent and are figuring out ways to do repairs and develop workarounds. Happy day, James

59-in-pieces

James,
Well said in both your posts - and so true all.

I bought mine new, and it has been more fun than I could have ever imagined.

I particularly get a kick out of putting the top down into the trunk - pure ORIGAMI or black magic.
Oh, as I have posted - when the top is in the trunk, there is only just about room for a Kleenex box - but who cares.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

dinhnguyen57

Wow!  I just looked at Ebay to see what the prices are like.  $1500 to $3000!!!!!!

I always liked the XLR for it's angular lines and low sleek profile.  It has a dated interior and less luxurious interior than it's competitor, the SL500, in my humble opinion.  It does hold it's value better than a SL500 though.

I've always considered buying one for the right price and condition, but now that I've read about the tail light issue, it makes me wonder what other engineering challenges /repairs that an owner needs to be prepared for.  I'm a lot more hesitant to buy one now.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

67_Eldo

Quote from: dinhnguyen57 on August 08, 2020, 01:25:29 PM
It makes me wonder what other engineering challenges /repairs that an owner needs to be prepared for.
The retractable tops do not have the best reputation for reliably opening and closing.

And then there are those who have lost the tops of their tops.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/01/another-cadillac-xlr-owner-reports-losing-roof-while-driving/

cadillacmike68

Front lights housing just as bad on availability as the rears. Many got burned out by the hot lights and were replaced under warranty and the GM stockpile of spares was exhausted.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike