News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

John Washburn

Started by Brent Hladky #21519, August 22, 2020, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Hladky #21519

With a very heavy heart, I am saddened to let you know that John Washburn (aka The Johnny), a long time CLC (and Rocky Mountain Region) member, very active participant of this Forum, and author of the Washburn’s Wisdom column in our Self-Starter magazine, passed away on Friday, August 21 due to complications from lung surgery.

The amount of time, effort, and knowledge that John put into writing his articles, helping us out with advice on the Forum, and discussing Cadillac matters over the phone or in person with us was literally unbelievable.  Many of us were also fortunate enough to have had John as a friend: something for which we are all richer.

John will be dearly missed by his family, friends, and fellow Cadillacers.

The Tassie Devil(le)

What sad news to read first thing in the morning.

John was a very likeable fellow, and would go out of his way to assist anyone, and his loss will leave a huge hole in the lives of everyone that knew him, either personally, or otherwise.

Drive high Jon, and now you won't need your oxygen hose at the top of Pikes Peak. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadman56

My wife and I  sstopped to visit John on our way to Denver about 4 years ago.  He was very gracious and yes, I will greatly miss him and his wisdom and knowledge. 
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

harry s

Sad to hear. He takes a wealth of knowledge with him. RIP.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

J. Gomez

As Bruce mention it’s indeed very sad news.   :(

I’ve never meet Johnny in person but had several conversation with him as well as multiple emails exchanges over the years we knew each other.

We all going to miss his wealth of knowledge in the Cadillac world and his good sense of humor from the Self Starter tech articles.

As Johnny prefer words on his articles, let’s raise our glasses of wine to celebrate Johnny’s memory, you will be missed my friend.

I would like to express my sincere condolences to his family.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Very sad news. John was always a fine gentleman and very helpful to us on the Mid-Century Forum. My condolences to his family and loved ones. Clay/Lexi

HerbP

I was very fortunate to live near and visit with John from time to time.  He was certianly one of the good guys, always happy to share his knowledge, wit, wisdom, and to lend a hand if needed.  He helped me immensely with my old LaSalle, and passed on more knowledge to me in a few short years than most gather in a lifetime, I suspect...I wish I remembered most of it.

RIP, Johnny.  Thanks for helping this newbie and I hope your roads and smooth, skies are clear, and the rest stops have a good Cabernet.
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!
:)

Jay Friedman

I met John (or The Johnny as he styled himself) in person at a Grand National some years ago, talked to him on the phone occasionally and corresponded with him quite a bit.  He was a member of the Forty Niners Chapter and one of his many interests that we shared was '49 Cadillacs.  John had a wealth of knowledge about Cadillacs as was seen in his Washburn's Wisdom columns, many of which I clipped out from the magazine and kept in a file.

A project I regret I never carried out was to visit him at his home in Colorado, where he had a building (or buildings) full of parts and equipment. 

My sincere condolences to his family.

Jay Friedman
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

All I can do is frown. Nothing else to say 😔.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

marty55cdv

I saw the topic and got an awful feeling, I bought my first Cadillac from John, my 55 Coupe DeVille in 2005. I visited his home to inspect the car.  I spent a little time doing that but also enjoying his collection of cars, test equipment , etc . I left there absolutely hooked on Cadillac and Lasalle, I was overwhelmed and amazed by what I saw. It was my first experience with old cars of any kind and it made a big impression on me.  I told John I used to work on VW's and he would say he was glad he had saved from the Dark-side. When I would find another car I would email him some pics and blame my "Cadiction" on him.   My thoughts are with his family.    " Glad this is just a hobby"  " Call me on my shoe phone"  John you will be missed... :-[
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

Roger Zimmermann

Sad news. I too, appreciate his reports in the Self-Starter. My condolences to his family.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Very sad news. I only "knew" him through chats on the old mid-century Cadillacs forum (as mentioned by Clay) and from his great articles in the Self Starter. Condolences to his family.

M. Bankes

Hi,
That’s very sad news, although I never meet John in person we had quite a few dealings together and I always enjoyed talking to him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family
Michael

South_paw

Came here to validate the news I got yesterday. Having a hard time accepting this. He will be missed

James Landi

John's column was alight with wit and wisdom.  He ALWAYS included great moments of self effacing humor, followed by his obligatory and  signature " ...glass of merlot."  I always read John's column, not because I own any of the cars he featured, but because he reminded me of the best personal qualities that good persevering and creative  people have who bring passion, good humor, and a loving heart to a personal project.  He certainly will be missed.  James

Caddieman53

Very sad news. I learned a lot from his comments and self starter articles. Condolences to his family. RIP John.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine

quadfins

His monument is in the number of people whom he touched and brightened. We should all be so fortunate.

When I work on a car project, I will always think of him, which will bring a good memory, a smile to my face, and a toast of red wine- his hallmark.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

76eldo

Very sad news.
I never met the man but always enjoyed his writings.
Condolences to the family and his friends.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

35-709

I can only add my feelings of sadness and loss to the many expressions of the same above.  I met him briefly at the St. Augustine, FL GN and always enjoyed his Self-Starter articles.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Chris Bryant #19358

What a terrible shame! I always looked forward to his well-done articles. I will have an extra glass of red wine at supper in his memory!
I hope his family will be well supported during and after this awful time. He will never be forgotten!

Chris Bryant #19358