News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New car!

Started by msack, September 10, 2020, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msack

Hi, I just joined the club, Here is my new car. I had one years ago and am so excited to have one again.
This car doesn't have seat belts and I would like to have them installed. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

1963 Series 62 Convertible

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Welcome aboard! Best of luck on the '63. I had one as a used car and think they are one of Cadillac's prettiest.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

msack

76eldo

Beautiful car!.  Nothing like a Cadillac convertible.  Enjoy! 
There are a lot of people her with information and parts.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

J. Skelly

That's a pretty car!

Make sure to buy an old Jo-Han 1/25th kit of it.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

chrisntam

As others have said, Welcome!

And that car sure is purdy! 

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Michael,

Congratulations on your purchase, and further on wanting to fit Seat Belts to it.

The fitting of Seat Belts in older cars is one of the best additions that can be made, but there is one matter that needs to be considered, and that is the routing of the inner webbing, which the buckle is attached to.

The construction of the seat base in many cars, especially those made by GM, does not allow for a straight-line path for the belt webbing, as it has to travel under the seat back, then up and over the seat base before heading to the floor.

I looked at fitting belts to my ’60 CDV, and the lip at the back of the seat base is very high, and “sharp”.  (first picture)  The belt that goes there would need to have a direct path to the floor, thereby requiring cutting through the seat frame, as is with the ’69 sedan, and then a sock sewn in to protect the webbing from abrading.   The ’69 already had factory seat belts fitted, and the seat frame had the required “hole” through the springs to cater for the belts.

If you look at later model cars, most will have a plastic “ferrule” protecting the webbing.

Plus, when fitting the belts, go for the three point Lap/Sash, as these will protect your chest from destroying your valuable steering wheel and horn ring in the unfortunate event of being involved in a nasty prang.

The mounting point for the shoulder web can be placed up on the rear quarter, between the door post and the front of the roof hinge.

With my '72 Eldorado, I used retractable belts, so the mount was a bit different.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   For those with a 2 door car, when fitting seat belts, then one must fit seat back latches to stop the seat back from falling forward.

PPS.   Sorry for the odd models for the pictures, but it just shows some idea of how things go.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Alan Harris CLC#1513

My recollection is that by 1963, they were already coming with floor pans that were set up for seatbelts. My father had a 1963 Electra convertible with dealer installed belts.

Your job should be fairly easy.

Beautiful car, by the way.

msack

Quote from: J. Skelly on September 10, 2020, 09:15:41 PM
That's a pretty car!

Make sure to buy an old Jo-Han 1/25th kit of it.
. will do!

msack

Quote from: Alan Harris CLC#1513 on September 10, 2020, 11:27:56 PM
My recollection is that by 1963, they were already coming with floor pans that were set up for seatbelts. My father had a 1963 Electra convertible with dealer installed belts.

Your job should be fairly easy.

Beautiful car, by the way.
Thank you. :)

msack

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 10, 2020, 10:59:19 PM
G'day Michael,

Congratulations on your purchase, and further on wanting to fit Seat Belts to it.

The fitting of Seat Belts in older cars is one of the best additions that can be made, but there is one matter that needs to be considered, and that is the routing of the inner webbing, which the buckle is attached to.

The construction of the seat base in many cars, especially those made by GM, does not allow for a straight-line path for the belt webbing, as it has to travel under the seat back, then up and over the seat base before heading to the floor.

I looked at fitting belts to my ’60 CDV, and the lip at the back of the seat base is very high, and “sharp”.  (first picture)  The belt that goes there would need to have a direct path to the floor, thereby requiring cutting through the seat frame, as is with the ’69 sedan, and then a sock sewn in to protect the webbing from abrading.   The ’69 already had factory seat belts fitted, and the seat frame had the required “hole” through the springs to cater for the belts.

If you look at later model cars, most will have a plastic “ferrule” protecting the webbing.

Plus, when fitting the belts, go for the three point Lap/Sash, as these will protect your chest from destroying your valuable steering wheel and horn ring in the unfortunate event of being involved in a nasty prang.

The mounting point for the shoulder web can be placed up on the rear quarter, between the door post and the front of the roof hinge.

With my '72 Eldorado, I used retractable belts, so the mount was a bit different.

PS.   For those with a 2 door car, when fitting seat belts, then one must fit seat back latches to stop the seat back from falling forward.

PPS.   Sorry for the odd models for the pictures, but it just shows some idea of how things go.
Thank you for the detailed reply!!

msack

Quote from: 76eldo on September 10, 2020, 08:36:38 PM
Beautiful car!.  Nothing like a Cadillac convertible.  Enjoy! 
There are a lot of people her with information and parts.

Brian
Thanks!!

64\/54Cadillacking

Welcome, what an awesome car!!  8)

The 63-64’s are one of my all time favorite Cadillacs of the 60’s, they are such a clean and elegant design. As a owner of a 64, i also recommend joining the 63/64 Cadillac forum.

Jason Edge is the 63/64 Cadillac God when it comes to these cars and he has helped me personally when it came to technical and mechanical info and overall knowledge of these specific years, including parts when I first acquired my 64. He’s awesome and a very helpful kind person.

I feel bad I haven’t been on the other forum much as I have been so focused on my other cars at the moment. I will soon though and you’ll probably here from me on their too!

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

fishnjim

Belts were a '63 option as the became "law" in '64.
Better to use new.  They make the sleeves that protect the webbing.   Several suppliers online.
Drive defensively as well.
I tingle when I see a '60s conv.  We had 3 and uncle had 1(non-cads), I drove all.   There's a wad/collection (convs) going up for auction and was pleasant to review the catalog.   Nothing I had to have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

When did Cadillac start fitting latches to the seat backs of 2 door cars?

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jason Edge

Hi Mitchell, Welcome to the Cadillac LaSalle Club.  You have a gorgeous 1963 convertible. As some have mentioned there are pre-tapped holes for front and rear seat belts in all 1963 Cadillac so it will just be a matter of finding the belts. When the seat belt wasn't installed you will find rubber plugs which are easily removed by shooting some WD40 and using the claw of a regular hammer to pope them out to expose the threads. Rear Belts were optional in both 1963 and 1964 and quite rare, especially the 63 style. The fronts were optional in 1963 and for part of the year in 1964, but became standard equipment in the front after VIN 64x057000, or about 1/3 into the production cycle.

The 1963's had a V crested buckles as seen in the 1st picture below and the 1964's had Cadillac crested buckles with a spring loaded retractor for the seat belts. Many 1963 owners prefer to find 1964 or later Cadillac crested buckles and install in their 1963, but if you are a purist the 1963 seat belts are out there... but very hard to find. Many people will install generic GM aftermarket belts in their 63 (or 64) Caddy until they can find the originals.

See the illustrations below and also be sure to join the 63/64 Cadillac Website at www.6364cadillac.com and join our free CLC 63/64 Cadillac Chapter by sending me your details to jasonedge@nc.rr.com.
Again, that is a great looking Caddy! Congrats!

1963 Seat Belts

1964 Seat Belts

Rear Seat Belt Holes:

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

msack

Quote from: 64/54Cadillacking on September 11, 2020, 06:02:05 AM
Welcome, what an awesome car!!  8)

The 63-64’s are one of my all time favorite Cadillacs of the 60’s, they are such a clean and elegant design. As a owner of a 64, i also recommend joining the 63/64 Cadillac forum.

Jason Edge is the 63/64 Cadillac God when it comes to these cars and he has helped me personally when it came to technical and mechanical info and overall knowledge of these specific years, including parts when I first acquired my 64. He’s awesome and a very helpful kind person.

I feel bad I haven’t been on the other forum much as I have been so focused on my other cars at the moment. I will soon though and you’ll probably here from me on their too!
Thanks! I'll join the forum you mentioned. I'll also check in with Jason.

msack

Here's another picture.

dadscad

That's a good looking car! You're going to love it. Enjoy!
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

msack