News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Sleeved LaSalle 322 flathead

Started by z3skybolt, September 21, 2020, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Looking for opinions,

I am considering a 1940 Cadillac with an overhauled LaSalle 322 engine.  The owner states that it has been "sleeved" and bored out to Cadillac 346 specs.  I am aware of sleeving but always thought that it was only used if the block was thin or perhaps cracked and repaired.

Appreciate comments from those with experience or technical knowledge.

Thanks,

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

wheikkila

Hi Bob
That is true for the most part. But, anytime you bore a cylinder you run the risk of having a bad spot in the block casting. Blocks rust from the coolant side out. The older the block the more imperfections you may find.  I'm currently having my 322 engine rebuilt for my 1940 La Salle. I'm having all the cylinders sleeved and then bored to 346. This will ensure a long life of the engine.
Thanks Wayne   

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

I concur with Wayne.

Sleeving cylinders can be done to repair, and enhance engines, and you have to remember that the HT4100 engines were virtually a Sleeved Engine, albeit not a good example.

Years ago, I had an engine that had seen many hard miles on the racing circuit, that had been sleeved a few times, due to breaking parts, and the last time, it was sleeved with the thickest sleeves, which I think were "D" size for the bore, and then bored out to .065 oversize.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

Anything can be messed up, but if done properly, it's the only way one has to repair some blocks.   If worn, cracked, or out of plumb can not easily add back/repair cast iron and remachine.   That's what the sleeve does.   
Always have a potential buy checked out by a mechanic, if you're not familiar.   Taking the sellers word for it, is iffy at best.   He should provide documentation, engine shop orders, pictures, before/after, etc,  if he's reputable.

LaSalle5019

I wouldn't let the block being sleeved cause you concern and prevent you from purchasing.  It is done all the time on most any engine.  If done properly, it is just as good as a non-sleeved engine.
Scott