News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Cadillac Series 60 Bolero Maroon Met Paint

Started by Steve Strickland, April 07, 2017, 04:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Strickland

Does anyone have the composition makeup for the Bolero Maroon Met Paint that was only offered in 1951?

I am restoring my grandfather's 1951 Series 60 Fleetwood. It is currently Corinth Blue. I want to change the color to the Bolero Maroon Met. (Paint Code 9 - Ditzler P.S. 657 - Dupont 1228-M). The paint stores in my area don't have the books that go back that far. The authorized Dupont paint dealer tried contacting Dupont with no luck. As I'm not restoring the car to original, I know it doesn't have to be exact but I do want it to look period correct when I'm done.

Ed franco

hi,  did you ever get an answer to your question on the bolero maroon?    i have a 1951 cadi series 62 i am painting and having the same issues you had in  2017.     thanks, Ed

novetti

My suggestion would be to go through the millions of colors in catalogue, I bet you will find a 99.5% match.

That way you avoid a custom mix and you also can always refer to something already existing in any library.

I did this for the Continental58' I am currently painting. I had the original Chips, some remnants of the original paint to try scan from but in the end it was an existing color from the catalogue (from a Korean car) that had the most accurate match. So I can just refer to that one in case I need more mix in the future.

Specially for an only Duco or Lacquer Metallic paint who are mostly not available anymore, its best to check directly in the modern BC/CC system what would look closer and more correct.

Cheers

Julio
54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

Ed franco

hi Julio,

Thanks for the response.    at this point, that is the plan.   i did go to the shop today to inform them i could not help them with color match.     the owner suggested a fender part that appears to be the original color (inner part of rear fender) and in good enough condition that it appears close to original.      I asked to take fender to get it match while looking at other samples of the bolero maroon - like you suggested.    he will get a small sample of the color at a small cost and paint a small area for my final approval.      thanks for the insight.  will do it.  not easy to find a color match for a 70 yr old paint no longer made.    pictures of other cars help but not easy.   i have brouchers also so i will do my best    haha.   
Ed