News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need Help Finding 1973 Eldorado Water Pump

Started by BootsAndCats, September 29, 2020, 11:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BootsAndCats

I am trying to keep my 88 year old Grandfather's Eldorado running, and he needs a new water pump. Problem is, the 1973 seems to require a very specific model that is different than adjacent years.

Here is what I need:

1st design, dual pulley water pump
Gates: 44032
AC Delco: 252-575

We tried a Gates 43103, it is not the correct one, although it is very easy to find. There needs to be a larger cut out near the lower hose to fit 2 belts. With the 43103, you can only use 1 belt, which is not a good solution.

Please, let me know if anyone has a good source you could share!

hornetball

1973 was a changeover year from double to single.  I went to Rock Auto and both types were listed for 1973, with both in stock.  Or you can search for a 1972, which would only be doubles.  Again, in stock.

TJ Hopland

68-74 generally had the dual belt so looking up 72 may be less confusing.  On the singles that clearance wasn't critical so I think over the years the rebuilders and manufacturers just got sloppy and didn't really care what got thrown into what box.     If your supplier is a local store you could ask them if they are willing to order more in and now that you know what to look for hope you get one that will work.

If the AC isn't currently working and you have the 'wrong' pump installed you can just use a shorter belts and go straight to the PS.

Be very careful with the 7/16 head bolts in the water pump.  They only thread into the 'tin' timing cover so are very easy to strip out and note that their torque spec is in INCH pounds, not foot like the rest so many people just go into autopilot mode and over torque and strip those.     

These guys list both styles and would know the difference but are currently showing out of stock but you check with them on when they think they will get more.  https://cadillacperformance.com/product-category/cooling-system/water-pumps/

These guys were or have gone through some changes but seems like I have read that others here have dealt with them recently so they but still be at it.   No fancy online checking but they too should know the difference.  https://www.usapartssupply.com/index.php
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

BootsAndCats

TJ Hopland

It looks correct but is the one in the photo what you will get?   Unless you can get a photo of the actual one you will be sent or see it for yourself you may be better off getting one from a specialty vendor that knows what to look for. 

Many years ago when I was going through this my parts store just ordered something like 10 of them in and we looked in all the boxes till we found the right one.   All has the same 'correct' part number on the box and were from 2 different brands.    I remember from that experience that there were at least 4 different castings.  1 was for sure right.   1 looked like it may be close and the others would have rubbed. 

BootsAndCats

Thanks TJ! Your replies are very insightful! I need it quickly, so I am going to try my luck 1st time and have it overnighted, but if it doesn't fit, I will have to go through the guys you suggested when they get more in.

It is amazing how ordering a car part can turn into some sort of "did they give me the right part" lottery.

Big Fins

Dry fit it first with just two or three bolts holding it. You are still going to have put the pulleys on to check the belt clearance. Unless you can do it on a flat table by measuring everything.

Another option is to rebuild what you have. If you have a skilled individual nearby. Otherwise it's send it out, wait for it to be rebuilt and the shipping back to you.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I would contact Flow Kooler in Atascadero CA. Let them know what you have   They have both configurations and make an EXCELLENT pump
Greg surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

35-709

Yes, Flow Kooler may be your best option.  I went through this and posted about it here several years ago.  The only way I was able to get the correct pump was to order a rebuilt pump (Carquest at the time).  I have the correct original and will get it rebuilt for a spare --- one of these days --- or just maybe get the correct Flow Kooler pump.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillacmike68

I also recommend a flow kooler pump. They use the proper castings but have a very enhanced impeller.

You do Not need to put the water pump pulleys on to check AC / PC belt clearance. Think!!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

BootsAndCats

A sincere thank you to all of you who responded. I need a bit more advice, please see developments below:

1. TJ Hopland was 100% correct. The part that came in had the correct part number on the box, wrong pump in the box.

2. I did look into Flow Kooler, but that would not be a very quick process, since they don't have any in stock, and would need to have it rebuilt. I need to get it done more quickly.

3. I was able to find a rebuilder that has one in stock, but the price is steep, and they want my core back further adding to shipping costs. All done, it would be around $250.

4. The alternative option presented by hornetball and TJ Hopland was to look for a 1972 water pump. Will all 1972 water pumps be a perfect fit? Am I going to have another "part lottery" to contend with?

A 72 pump from Rock Auto is a heck of a lot cheaper than a $250 pump + shipping + core shipping. However, the guy who has the rebuilt pump is pretty positive it will work.

Please let me know your thoughts!

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Yes
1968 through 1973 uses THE SAME PUMP.
If for god knows what reassign you can’t get a pump pm me. I have a Flow Kooler that is what you need.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

BootsAndCats

Thanks Greg! I really appreciate that. I’m going to try going for a 72 from Rockauto. They have 3 in stock. Greg and TJ (or anybody else that may know), which of the three available water pumps would I have the best luck with?

Link to make it easier to see what I’m looking at:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1972,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1025862,cooling+system,water+pump,2208

TJ Hopland

The reason we suggested just looking at 72 pumps is there isn't the additional confusion of which style it may be like any of the newer cars.   What is listed for a 72 should be one of the numbers also listed for 73.   If you click on the part numbers at rock auto it will list what else that part fits if you are curious.   

Its still going to be a crap shoot unless you see an actual photo from the correct angle of the part you will be getting or get one from someone that knows the difference but most people if the would even bother to look would not know what to look for other than a part number on a box.

Shafts are all in the same place and same length.   Same mounting holes.   Inlet is the same diameter.   The difference is just that area where the belt goes by and on the later or modified engines it doesn't matter if that clearance is there or not.   

BootsAndCats

How well do the hoses and such hold up to the increased flow and pressure of the Flow Kooler? Has anyone had an issue with them on the stock equipment?

TJ Hopland

The pressure generated by the flow of any automotive water pump is nothing compared to what is generated from the heat and regulated by the pressure cap.

I think in some cases flowkooler and similar types do re design the whole pumps with different and smoother angles and curves and such but I think their original claim to fame was they put a plate on the typical stock impeller that slightly increased the flow.   

For our applications I think they use someone elses or even used cores so the only reason I would go to them is they may still be a little higher quality control than a typical parts store part.   I don't think their difference in performance will make it or break it for most of or uses. 

cadillacmike68

My Flow Kooler has what looks like an original casting - so used - with the fancy impeller.

Note: the later ACDELCO ones have an improved impeller, but not as nice as the one in the Flow Kooler.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike