News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Car Covers

Started by 5 Caddies, November 15, 2020, 02:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Caddies

I need to purchase a new car cover for my newly purchased '91 Deville. The car will be outside under a carport here in FL. The one I have currently is the green/gray composition material that shreds over time and gives off tons of fibers. I have some old covers made of a kaki colored cotton like material up north in use at my MI residence. They still have not torn or released fiber all over my cars. I would like to buy something of a similar quality without paying an insane price. Any leads or recommendations. Car is 205.6 in length. Thanks.

Nicksdv69

carcovers.com offers ones at a reasonable price and they are custom made to fit the car. I would highly recommend checking them out. Beautiful Sedan DeVille, congratulations!

cadillacmike68

The sun down here just EATS everything.

I have the same fiber ones that you use on my 1996 Fleetwood. Can't get a year out of them in this sun. But the car isn't under a carport like you. It gets some garage time when I have the convertible out or when the boss lady is away, but that's a very small percentage of the time. I have received two warranty replacements, and will keep using this one until it disintegrates. As far as the fibers go, the hose takes care of that very nicely.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 17, 2020, 02:14:28 AM
The sun down here just EATS everything.

I have the same fiber ones that you use on my 1996 Fleetwood. Can't get a year out of them in this sun. But the car isn't under a carport like you. It gets some garage time when I have the convertible out or when the boss lady is away, but that's a very small percentage of the time. I have received two warranty replacements, and will keep using this one until it disintegrates. As far as the fibers go, the hose takes care of that very nicely.

Mike,

Did you get yours from CarCovers.com too? I ask because I have the Platinum one from CarAutoCovers.com which I suspect is the same company as CarCovers.com. Being in Tennessee, mine takes quite a beating from the sun too. My first one I warrantied at 1 year, and the second one gave out after another year. I ended up buying the next one because I figured they wouldn't indefinitely keep warrantying them. However, if they are willing to keep replacing them once a year (which is about exactly how much time I get out of one), I can probably save some money.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

cadillacmike68

I am using a DuckCovers Weather Defender on the Fleetwood and some other brand with the 1968 DVC - but I only use that one when traveling where I won't have a garage available to park in.  I haven't even used it since I got it. I had to replace it a few years back before I started using the DuckCoves one on the Fleetwood. One of the hurricanes made short work of my original cover a few years ago and I replaced it with a DuckCover, which fit the Fleetwood much better. But the original one fit the DeVille very nicely so I got another for that car for when I'm traveling. They were about 1/2 to 1/4 of the cost of the carcovers.com ones but are not as durable - no Lifetime Warranty, only 2 years or 3.

When you get a cover that is not "guaranteed fit" to YOUR car year make and model, you have to go up from 3-6 inches. The DuckCovers says 228 inches (it's the model / part #), and the Fleetwood is 225 OAL inches. It's not a super tight fit, but I am 100% certain it will NOT fit the DeVille's 224.7 OAL because the DeVille is all car and the Fleetwood is 8-12 inches of bumper sticking out low down and as such these car covers styles for modern cars are too small at the beltline.

TN Cannot compare to FL, you just cannot imagine until you've been here for a few summers. It's BRUTALLY HOT and SUNNY. And the angle of the dangle of the sun is so high, things just disintegrate outside.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

veesixteen

Quote from: 5 Caddies on November 15, 2020, 02:28:31 PM
I need to purchase a new car cover for my newly purchased '91 Deville. The car will be outside under a carport here in FL. The one I have currently is the green/gray composition material that shreds over time and gives off tons of fibers. I have some old covers made of a kaki colored cotton like material up north in use at my MI residence. They still have not torn or released fiber all over my cars. I would like to buy something of a similar quality without paying an insane price. Any leads or recommendations. Car is 205.6 in length. Thanks.

Gita and I just returned to "sunny" South Carolina, after 4 months abroad. We don't drive a Cadillac any more, but we do use a car cover "out in the open" (no garage or portico).

S. Carolina sun is a killer; our cover "disintegrated" when we tried to remove it. So, that's it; no more car covers, just regular washing and waxing.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Yann,

What a glorious picture.

I only use Car Covers as dust covers in my garage, which gets really dusty when I work in there, creating stuff.

I used a car cover on one car outside, and that was the worst thing I ever did.   The paint went bad, and in the winter, the cover actually stuck to the car when the frost descended one night.

A friend covered up his car when he went away for 12 months, and when he came back, the car needed a total back-to-metal respray, it was so bad.

There is no substitute for a roof over the car, and thankfully, I don't live anywhere the air is so polluted that bad stuff falls from the sky.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon