News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'59 Disc Brake Conversion: Alternative suppliers?

Started by Jim Salmi #21340, December 29, 2020, 12:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Salmi #21340

A friend and fellow CLCer wants to convert his '59 SDV to disc brakes.  He ordered parts from a certain supplier in Seal Beach, California in early November, and has still not received them.  He gets the usual put-on-hold and talk-to-different-people runaround, but isn't getting anywhere.  Now he has been promised a late January delivery, but his confidence is understandably waning.  Does anyone know of an alternative supplier that they could recommend, or does he just have to put up with this atrocious customer "service" until someone decides to do their job.  I saw a couple of negative comments about them in my search of previous posts, so apparently it's not a new thing.

Thanks, and let's hope the new old car year is better.
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Thor

I had good luck with Wilwood discs and calipers (Camarillo, CA), and Classic Performance Products for the M/C and booster (Placentia, CA).  The calipers fit inside stock 15" CC wheels with rivets, and they are far better than the crude sets you will normally find on the market. 

Randy B
1960 Eureka Hearse

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Thor on December 29, 2020, 11:55:48 PM
I had good luck with Wilwood discs and calipers (Camarillo, CA), and Classic Performance Products for the M/C and booster (Placentia, CA).  The calipers fit inside stock 15" CC wheels with rivets, and they are far better than the crude sets you will normally find on the market. 

Randy B
1960 Eureka Hearse

Randy,
Did you have to replace your spindles to use the Wilwood rotors, and were you using the original reverse dish wheel?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Thor

No spindle replacement.  The calipers fit onto an adapter plate, and the discs fit onto original spindles.

I am using the original wheels for a commercial chassis - they are heavier duty for all that weight.

Randy

Cadman-iac

The commercial chassis wheels are still the reverse dish design though,  right? Just heavier material?
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Clewisiii

I used classic disk brakes.com for a 4 wheel disk conversion. Using 3/4 inch spacers on the rear I have stock wheels everywhere. 

$1700 came with a master booster. And after you install they have you take measurements and they will make and send ebrake cables.   

If I had to do it again.  I might not convert the rear. I still may go back.  Using the spacers you get a real tight clearance from the tire to the inside of the fender skirt. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

From the write up i did.

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

contuinue

Clewisiii

then

If interested i can add all of the sheets from the rear.