News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 Series 61 Sedan Info and parts needed

Started by mikeybob, January 04, 2021, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeybob

Hi, I'm looking for a few parts and some information for a Ser 61 Sedan.
Found the wiper arms and blades she needed.

I need one of the stabilizer rods that connect the firewall to the radiator support. Any idea where I could find this?
Next, heater fan motor... can't seem to get this going, anyone have one for sale?

Anyone interested in the reverse threaded right hand side spindle nut or castle nut? I'm thinking of getting these reproduced since they are so hard to find.

I have owned this gorgeous car for almost 15yrs and am now getting her back on the road. She's now upgraded to 12v, so she starts, her lights work, the brakes have been refurbed, the fuel tank restored, new fuel pump, carb rebuild, etc. But I live in Seattle and definitely need the wipers and heat to function so the above parts are a necessity!
Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely, Mike   
39 Series 61 Touring Sedan ... Annie
64 Series 60 Special ... Minnetonka

mikeybob

So I had the spindle nuts reproduced, 3/4 X 20, for both sides, proper thread directions. New and shiney! Have extras if you need any.
Replaced the original heater box with an aftermarket 12V system that works great.

Still need the rod under the hood that connects the radiator support to the firewall.

Also discovered a few other parts needed... like the passenger side trim on the running board, mine is dented and scratched, I think that the post for the passenger side wiper arm needs replacing, need an original dome light switch, need bumper guards, etc.
Thanks.

Tom Boehm

Hello Mike, You are not likely to find a better running board trim than the one you have. In other words those are impossible to find in good condition. Have the original restored. When you say "windshield wiper post" do you mean the chrome piece on the cowl? That is another item that is impossible to find in good condition (good chrome). It is very difficult and expensive to rechrome those. If yours has a mechanical problem it should not be hard to find ones with bad chrome but in working order. As to the firewall rods, keep an eye out for someone parting out a car. Your car has the same body as 1939 and 1940 series 50 Lasalles. Those cars would have the same firewall rods and wiper posts. AKA wiper transmission. 1939 Lasalle would have the same runningboard trim.

I know you already changed the heater. If you want to repair the old one I would suggest having the original motor repaired. The heater motor in the 1939 and 1940 Cad/Lasalles reverses direction depending on heater or defroster mode. You need the correct reversible motor for the heater to work right. I bought a heater for my 1940 Lasalle but it had a later replacement motor in it that only went in one direction. I was lucky to find the correct motor for it. Also the problem could be in the switch.       
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/703.cfm

mikeybob

Thanks Tom for the ideas.
I believe the wiper part/post threads are worn so the wiper arm flops, passenger side. The chrome bezel is in really good shape. The drivers side works fine, thank goodness.
I have been looking for a 39 parts car.
I just found out that the rod is 40" long.
Recently ordered a replacement glove box liner and speedometer cable. Should arrive soon.
But now I may need a starter switch. Mine was taking multiple times to engage, then I figured out that a wire came loose from the starter. Fixed that, now the bendix won't release and wouldn't shut down. I had to remove the negative cable from the battery before a fire started! It was smoking hot. Could be related to the starter switch since turning the key off did nothing to stop it.
Caddydaddy has a new switch for $135 or there's a used one on eBay for $52. I'm conflicted about this, yes, I'd like the NOS switch but I do like to recycle and reuse. The eBay one is untested.