News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Convertible Cadillacs & hearing aids - can they co-exist?

Started by chrisntam, January 07, 2021, 05:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I recently got hearing aids (for the first time) and have driven my '70 convertible once since getting them.  The wind noise through the aids was sufficient enough that I had to mute them.  Not an ideal situation, but that's what I did none the less.

For those with hearing deficiencies, hearing aids and convertibles, what has been your experience?  How do you handle it?  I suppose a closed car at moderate speeds with the windows down could have the same effect.

Thanks in advance.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Chris,

Welcome to the world of the hearing impaired.

When I am in my car, I have to turn my hearing aids off when the roof is down, and in any car with wind noise, and restaurants and anywhere there are crowds.

The big thing to remember is that we forget what it was like before our hearing began to falter, and don't get the aids until we really need them, and then the hearing is suddenly returned to some sort of normality, that the brain cannot adjust as fast.   Plus, the Hearing Aids receive noise from 360 degrees, as the receiver is not influenced by the cone shape of our ears.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

I, too, am old, and enjoy convertible driving, so I am keenly interested in the following: highly sophisticated noise cancelling hearing aids are in the final stages of development, and the electronics provide the user the ability accentuate, in real time,  those audible frequencies that one desires and filter out the noise. From what I know about this very new product, it's being developed by engineers and is now in the  "beta testing" stages and on the cusp of being released for production.  Advanced "word" is that the device will be ground breaking, so if my sources are accurate, help may well be on the way.    James

fishnjim

There are things one can do to mitigate some of the wind noise, but without a noise meter, it's difficult to diagnose/correct.   
Try rolling the side windows up with the top down and see if it's better.   Watch/vary position of the sunshades.
I have learned to duck my head behind the windscreen when on the boat so not to catch the wind and be buffeted, so some reduction is possible.  So how you sit, leaning back, upright, or forward may influence.   Talk to your hearing aid provider for other suggestions.   You're not the first one.

harvey b

What i do,i have 2 of them too :(.If you are new to them it will take some getting used to as well,every little noise is magnified and is irritating,after you get used to them it wont seem as bad,i always move my head somehow to shelter from the noise,after a while you will be able to do it.It helps to turn them down when driving,I never take the out in the car,too easy to lose them,safest place for them is in your ears?.It is one of the joys of getting old. Hrveyb
Harvey Bowness

carlhungness

I have a transmitter in my left ear that sends the sound over to my right ear. My ear drum is completely gone on the left side, but you sure don't know it with a bi-cross hearing aid system. Best advice is learn to live with it, turn your head, put the aids in your shirt pocket, etc.
  It's much better on the motorcycle, I take them out completely.