News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New GM Logo. What do you think?

Started by chrisntam, January 12, 2021, 10:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on January 20, 2021, 02:35:14 PM
Yes, and I was speaking luxury as a general category vs. comparable non-luxury vehicles e.g., similar size sedans, NOT sedans vs. SUVs, convertibles vs. minivans, etc. which can have their own usage variables.

The average mileage of 2018 model year vehicles in Tesla 3's price class & category I have found to have mileage ranging from 29,000 - 36,000 and were from Mercedes, BMW, Acura and Lexus which is still a significant difference from 18,000.

Even the mileages of the 2018 Model X SUV averaged at 33,000 mi (100D), 22,000 mi (75D) and 24,000 mi (P100D) which is still substantially below the average mileage of the closest gasoline powered alternatives. 

What perhaps is most remarkable of all is the choice of EVs for some of the lowest annual mileage driving providing the least benefit of doing so in the first place. 

As to Tesla loyalty (excerpted from the link below):

"Tesla [f]ans are often blind followers of the brand, eschewing critical thinking to glorify what is, in reality, an impressive but imperfect company that builds impressive but imperfect cars and makes a lot of questionable decisions."

https://jalopnik.com/engineer-who-compared-tesla-model-3-quality-to-a-kia-in-1846071616?utm_campaign=Jalopnik&utm_content=1611168003&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3mUsx4WyGL0UHPVVhwnULteM4J0CUoAOYdHCZhHw_jqOJ7yzII-RgyTfQ

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

The Tassie Devil(le)

Okay everyone.

Now is the time to stop going on and on about Tesla, and the good or bad, and other EV's, as remember, this is a Cadillac and LaSalle Forum, and I may be wrong, but I feel that the original heading of the posts has been sufficiently stripped, disected and moaned about.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on January 20, 2021, 04:17:35 PM
The average mileage of 2018 model year vehicles in Tesla 3's price class & category I have found to have mileage ranging from 29,000 - 36,000 and were from Mercedes, BMW, Acura and Lexus which is still a significant difference from 18,000.

Even the mileages of the 2018 Model X SUV averaged at 33,000 mi (100D), 22,000 mi (75D) and 24,000 mi (P100D) which is still substantially below the average mileage of the closest gasoline powered alternatives. 

What perhaps is most remarkable of all is the choice of EVs for some of the lowest annual mileage driving providing the least benefit of doing so in the first place. 

At to Tesla loyalty (excerpted from the link below):

"Tesla [f]ans are often blind followers of the brand, eschewing critical thinking to glorify what is, in reality, an impressive but imperfect company that builds impressive but imperfect cars and makes a lot of questionable decisions."

https://jalopnik.com/engineer-who-compared-tesla-model-3-quality-to-a-kia-in-1846071616?utm_campaign=Jalopnik&utm_content=1611168003&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3mUsx4WyGL0UHPVVhwnULteM4J0CUoAOYdHCZhHw_jqOJ7yzII-RgyTfQ

I don't know how reflective auction data Is of broader overall vehicle usage.  UK data shows Teslas being driven more, on average, per year than vehicles from brands like Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW and others but that’s the UK.

I think the more relevant piece here is Tesla’s #1 loyalty ranking in the U.S. which certainly seems to suggest that people are pretty happy with BEV ownership and aren't widely finding "benefits of EV ownership are outweighed by inconveniences/drawbacks" as you previously theorized by the low mileage auction Teslas you found.   Many stick with the brand/BEVs and, yes, Tesla does have its fair share of rabid fans not just about Tesla but BEVs, solar energy, and general environmental issues.

A lot of people who have gone to the "dark side" (BEV ownership) appear to be pretty happy about it but that vast majority of consumers haven’t made that move yet.  How rapid BEV adoption will be depends on a number of factors including future gas prices, future BEV prices and variety, battery/range advancements, regulations and incentives in the various energy sectors, etc.   The fastest BEV growth is expected to be overseas.   GM/Cadillac will hopefully be in a good position to capitalize on whatever that growth pace may be.

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon