News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 front fender trim

Started by Matt 12861, January 21, 2021, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

Has anyone ever looked at recasting these parts?  Mine lost all the mounting studs.  I used JB weld to glue threaded studs on and they held for about a year.  Then it fell off again (luckily in my driveway and I found it).
Thanks,
Matt Givler
Matt Givler #12861

Cadillac Fleetwood

I have not seen any reproductions of these.  They are notoriously difficult to remove without breaking off the stud nearest the door.  I haave a nice bright pair with all studs intact.  I owned a 1968 CDV for 23 years and it was a wonderful car. PM sent.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

cadillactim

Matt

What I have done to several trim pieces like this is take a 5/64" drill bit and drill into the part where the stud was. I adjust the travel on the drill press so it doesn't drill all the way thru. Then I take a 4-40 screw and screw it in the hole. Cut off the screw head and use a washer and nut to attach.

Tim
Tim Groves