News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Do you tip your shipper/delivery driver?

Started by francisthepig, January 27, 2021, 03:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

francisthepig

Hello everyone,
I will be dealing with my first experience in having a car shipped/transported 2/3's across the country.  Thanks to previous threads I was able to locate a company that was mentioned positively a few times on the forum.

My question is it customary or expected to tip the delivery driver of your vehicle?  What other things I should expect or be prepared for when the car arrives?  If it makes a difference, this will be a Cash on Delivery transaction.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
very soon a 1965 Eldorado
No car yet, but looking

harvey b

It never hurts to offer something,but wait until its all unloaded and you have a chance to take a quick look over your car 8). I usually offer the tow truck drivers something to drink,a pop or bottle of water when its hot out,not much nut they seem to appreciate it. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Ike

Curious who you contracted.   I just went through a 7 week ordeal and when my car arrived it was filthy.   

It wasn’t the delivery drivers fault because he picked it up after the issue.

I did not tip. But if you think they did a great job and were very professional I would through them an extra saw buck.   Unfortunately my experience was sub par and wasn’t in the mood to give Kudo’s to anyone involved
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable
69 Coupe Deville. Previously owned
72 Eldorado. Previously owned
71 Coupe Deville. Previously owned
72 Coupe Deville. Previously owned

rsms

During the 90's I owned an auto transport company with 7 trucks.  Although most of our cliental was dealers we did a fair share of consumer cars.  It was very rare I would hear that a driver received a tip.  It is not customary but if the driver does do a good job at keeping your car safe or goes out of his way to be accommodating, it would make the driver's day I would think as truck drivers usually don't get much respect (some deservingly).  I regularly use transporters and I always offer them a cold beverage and try to make there interaction with me go as smooth as possible but I personally do not tip.  It's totally up to you and by all means if he goes above and beyond go for it and if not, don't.  I do recommend you look the car over good before excepting it as once you do you will have no recourse.  Both where it could get dinged or scratched (front, back and sides) but also on the top of the car and a quick look underneath.  Good luck!!

cadillac ken

If it's a driver and company you are going to use in the future... maybe.   But tipping a guy for a job already done (for better or for worse) in hopes that he already took great care with your car is kinda odd to me.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Only ever tipped once when having a car shipped to a Grand National. I arrived at the show location a day later to discover the lower fender was scraped. After a good deal of convincing, the transporter finally agreed to take care of the repair at a shop of his choosing which was the only option he offered.

Needless to say having a mid 5-figure car out of my possession while being repaired at a body shop 120 miles away who I did not know was a nerve wracking experience lasting two weeks which I do not care to relive.

Thankfully the quality of the repair was excellent.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

KOKNEYELDO

All we do is handle transportation claims.

Always carefully inspect the car at the times of pick-up and destination, note any visible damages and handwrite them on the document (such as the Bill of Lading) BEFORE the driver leaves.

If the driver says he does not want you to write anything down for damages (for example), do not sign the Bill of Lading, call the trucking company/broker IMMEDIATELY and send them email IMMEDIATELY with your complaint.

Always obtain a copy of the Bill of Lading from the driver that BOTH he and you have both signed.

NEVER pick-up your car at night as damages are less visible and parts are stolen from cars all the time!

If the car arrives really dirty make a note of that on the Bill of Lading and also handwrite "SUBJECT TO FULL INSPECTION AFTER WASHING THE CAR".

Regarding tipping the driver, a lot of the drivers are not the same guy that put your car on the hauler at origin.

So, if you car arrived with damages it could have occurred en route or when it may have been transloaded.
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

David Greenburg

I have tipped delivery drivers that have been particularly helpful or accommodating.  I have also tipped tow truck/flatbed drivers on occasion. While not expected, it is certainly appreciated.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

EAM 17806

Quote from: rsms on January 27, 2021, 08:13:47 PM
During the 90's I owned an auto transport company with 7 trucks.  Although most of our cliental was dealers we did a fair share of consumer cars.  It was very rare I would hear that a driver received a tip.  It is not customary but if the driver does do a good job at keeping your car safe or goes out of his way to be accommodating, it would make the driver's day I would think as truck drivers usually don't get much respect (some deservingly).  I regularly use transporters and I always offer them a cold beverage and try to make there interaction with me go as smooth as possible but I personally do not tip.  It's totally up to you and by all means if he goes above and beyond go for it and if not, don't.  I do recommend you look the car over good before excepting it as once you do you will have no recourse.  Both where it could get dinged or scratched (front, back and sides) but also on the top of the car and a quick look underneath.  Good luck!!
SCOTT, I agree  with your thinking!   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

francisthepig

Thanks to everyone.  Certainly gives me something to think about.  I will make sure I have extra cash just in case.
No car yet, but looking

Cadillac Jack 82

I've tipped before at around 8-10% if they managed to get my car to me quickly and in one piece.  I also don't mind paying a little bit more for a better service as I've seen the end result of hiring a transport company on the cheap.  The 40 Chevy I sold to a gentleman in LA years ago arrived banged to hell because the driver didn't secure the car properly.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

gkhashem

I tip my local guy who does a great job at a great price. He has transported 6 cars from me and done a great job.

Other than that they get enough of my money. One guy purposely hid damage from me and I got tricked. So anytime you transport inspect carefully. Once you sign for the car delivery you're stuck.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

76eldo

I last car I had shipped came up from Florida to Pa.
the driver was very nice and there was no damage to the car so I handed him an extra $20 with the COD payment.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: KOKNEYELDO on January 28, 2021, 11:26:59 AM
All we do is handle transportation claims.

Always carefully inspect the car at the times of pick-up and destination, note any visible damages and handwrite them on the document (such as the Bill of Lading) BEFORE the driver leaves.

If the driver says he does not want you to write anything down for damages (for example), do not sign the Bill of Lading, call the trucking company/broker IMMEDIATELY and send them email IMMEDIATELY with your complaint.

Always obtain a copy of the Bill of Lading from the driver that BOTH he and you have both signed.

NEVER pick-up your car at night as damages are less visible and parts are stolen from cars all the time!

If the car arrives really dirty make a note of that on the Bill of Lading and also handwrite "SUBJECT TO FULL INSPECTION AFTER WASHING THE CAR".

Regarding tipping the driver, a lot of the drivers are not the same guy that put your car on the hauler at origin.

So, if you car arrived with damages it could have occurred en route or when it may have been transloaded.

Not transferred in my case. It was single enclosed trailer on a dedicated trip from Scranton to McLean va. This outfit does not do condition reports which I found unusual.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

No.

Never really understood tipping and still don't.  I never got tipped while working for a large, nationally known insurance company.  They payed me a wage.  Customer pays the company for their product, I work, the company pays me, keeps the "rest" as profit.

Tipping has gotten way out of hand.  In some professions, it's become expected whether deserved or not.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

No tipping done down in Australia, and not expected.

The best tip I give is "Be nice to those you pass on the way up, because you WILL meet them on the way down".

Or another one. "Be nice to your parents"

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillac ken

Quote from: chrisntam on January 28, 2021, 07:58:36 PM
No.

Never really understood tipping and still don't.  I never got tipped while working for a large, nationally known insurance company.  They payed me a wage.  Customer pays the company for their product, I work, the company pays me, keeps the "rest" as profit.

Tipping has gotten way out of hand.  In some professions, it's become expected whether deserved or not.

I tend to agree.  Nowadays most seem to regard the tip as thanks, stuff it in their pocket and walk away-- almost like they deserved it.  And most times I get the impression that it doesn't really "influence" them one way or another.

It seems tipping used to be a way of rewarding those that go the extra mile.  Now more often than not it's regarded as the customer's responsibility to supplement a poor wage paid by the employer.  Not on board with that.