News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

TP Tool & Equipment car musuem.

Started by prewarcad, February 06, 2021, 06:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prewarcad

A few cars from the TP Tool & Equipment personal collection in Canfield Ohio. TP Tools is a big boy toy store that specializes in auto restoration supplies. They have a very impressive museum. Well worth the trip.
"A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very, very dangerous man who has it under voluntary control."
Jordan Peterson

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

First, let me thank you for posting. Do you have any more pics?
Now the bad part. I'm very familiar with both early 30's & 1940's There are so many errors on those cars, it made me cringe. It appears that there were boxes of mixed parts & someone with no idea what he was doing
put them on whatever car he chose. Pretty sad.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

35-709

FRED ZWICKER  CLC#23106

Fred Zwicker, the owner of TP Tools, is a long time CLC member and used to be active on these forums.  He is very knowledgeable about  cars in general and restores them as he sees fit.  A tour of his very nice museum can be seen here ---

http://www.tpcarcollection.com/our-vehicles.html
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

prewarcad

Wow Bob, harsh review of cars that have won awards among Cadillac "experts". A private owner provides a museum for a multi- million dollar collection that he generously allows the public to come and see for free. I was grateful and impressed.  Thanks, you reminded me why I enjoy but seldom show anyone my cars.
"A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very, very dangerous man who has it under voluntary control."
Jordan Peterson

druby

If I was the owner of this great collection and I heard Bob’s remarks I would ask him if he could do a better job of welcoming others & display his own personal collection ? I tend to agree his remarks were insulting ! Comments made like these are the reason members drop out of or loose interest in a club. I’m sure Fred would welcome an apology for the negative statement.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Geoff,
As he sees fit are the key words. The errors on his cars are not minor. I'd be happy to critique his cars, not apologize.
Mr. Ruby,
If I was showing a collection of any kind, I'd try very hard to make it correct. As a long time judge & CLC member & restorer I do know what I'm talking about. Are you familiar with cars of that vintage?
Mr. Cyrus,
I'd welcome some of those "experts" to contact me & we could have an authenticity discussion on these or any car I've had personal  experience with. Are you familiar with cars of that vintage?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

prewarcad

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on February 08, 2021, 12:54:28 AM
...I'd be happy to critique his cars, not apologize.
...As a long time judge & CLC member & restorer I do know what I'm talking about.
Mr. Cyrus,
I'd welcome some of those "experts" to contact me & we could have an authenticity discussion on these or any car I've had personal  experience with. Are you familiar with cars of that vintage?
Bob

Critiquing a car and personally insulting it's owner are two different things. You have only done the latter and I'm ashamed that this club would allow someone of your disposition to judge anyone else's car. I wonder if any newbies have ever returned after one of your "expert" critiques?

Yes, I am very familiar with cars of this era, though I would never self proclaim being an "expert".

Quote from: druby on February 07, 2021, 10:46:15 PM
Comments made like these are the reason members drop out of or loose interest in a club.

Exactly! There are many reasons this club (and others) are slowly dying. This is a big one. Having no local CLC activity, and all the information I could ever want at the stroke of a keyboard, I have personally struggled lately with seeing the benefit of membership. Members like Bob certainly haven't helped that.

Jordan Peterson

fishnjim

Not going to get in a personal feud.   

Romans had a saying, "De gustibus non est disputandum".  translates; In matter of taste, there's no disputes.   aka; no accounting for tastes.

I've been there.   Next to their store.   I buy from them.   Nice museum, they rotate the stock so have to go several times to see it all.   After seeing tens of thousands of car in shows, etc, over a lifetime, I don't think I go to critique, I go to enjoy.   It's what catches my eye, when I take a closer look.
Manage expectations.  eg: I went to an auction of "museum" cars, and they were done just enough to look good from the "ropes".   There's standards for Pebble Beach concours, etc. and it doesn't necessarily apply everywhere.   That's why there's a rating system.   Not all are 100 pt cars.   Doesn't mean one can't enjoy them.   Judge not, lest ye be judged?

cadillac ken

As a rule I generally reserve my professional opinions on a car unless specifically asked.  And as a car builder for over 40 years I often get asked. I usually tell everyone "it's a nice car" and leave it at that unless pushed further by a genuinely concerned owner.

I have never asked anyone what they thought about my cars.  But I'm sure they make their comments out of earshot of me. And that's fine.