News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 Cadillac V-12 axel nut retainer bars

Started by Stinson, January 08, 2021, 04:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Hello, long ago someone gave me a link to new repro axle nut retainer clips (the bar inserted over the axle with the notch for the axle pin and the ears to be bent) being offered for sale and I started to purchase these needed items but I did not want to pay the $16,00 shipping fee for something that could be put into an envelope. But, now I need them. So, I hope one of you can redirect me to the seller.
Thank you for your help,
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

carlhungness

I think you are referring to the 'tab washers' that go over the axle and have tabs that are to be bent over the nuts. I too had the man's name who sold them and decided his postage was so far out of line I didn't want to give him any business. Can't find his name at the moment.
   Then I discovered my axle nuts are to be torqued to 300lbs (on my '37 LaSalle) and the chances of them ever coming loose are so slim I'll just dob a little Blue Loctite on the nuts and forget about the tab washers.

Stinson

Thank you, I hope you can find the contact because I had one of my wheels almost fall off the car. Just managed to catch it in time, and used a monkey wrench to tighten it as much as I could to get it home.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Daryl Chesterman

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is not rocket science to fabricate replacements.

A piece of tin, a drill, a file and a vice to hold the tin and a simple fix.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Stinson

Thank you Daryl,
Can you believe the price of $16.50 each?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can believe the price, once one considers the cost of setting up to make them.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Some places think that Restorers will pay anything for parts.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harry s

I checked the dimensions for the retainers that are advertised and they are the right ones for the 75 & 85 Series. I tried ordering and was unable to checkout. It looks like the seller had a restoration shop which he has closed and is selling off inventory. No answer at the phone yesterday (Sat). I will call them tomorrow and see if they have the retainers. The price does seem high but wait until you see the shipping, $22. I'll report back after I talk to them tomorrow.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Stinson

Hello Harry, thank you, long time since we were there to see your beautiful truck - do you still have it?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

harry s

Ty, Yes I still have the Mack. It's up for the winter looking forward to spring. I called the axle nut retainer folks again and got the same message to either email or leave a voice mail. Sometimes it's just too hard to spend your money.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Stinson

Many thanks Harry, appreciate your trying. Keep Mack warm.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

carlhungness

In such applications I always utilize some blue Loctite, even if there is a tab washer. My '37 LaSalle requires 320 lbs of torque to the rear axle nuts (and 225 to the pinion).
The pinion does not have a tab washer, the axles do.
     The rear nuts on my car were, right: finger tight; left, just a tad tighter. Both tab washers were flattened and broken.
      I removed the nuts then had to buy a beautiful Blue Point Brake drum puller, it weighs about 30 lbs. and bash the handle mightily to knock the brake drums loose.
How the nuts got loose I'll never know, but I am the last man to drive the car 25 years ago and I drove it at freeway speeds.
      Making the  tab washers will probably take me an hour of fun.

Stinson

Okay Carl, how much would you charge for two. Sorry Carl, just kidding you. It would require a certain thickness of malleable metal and some way to make the correct diameter hole for the 75 and 85 series.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Okay, so today I just ordered two of them. For any of you who may need them they are now available from Straight Eight, now selling Classic & Exotic Services Inc. remaining stock for them. You must call directly 248 362 3105. Ask for SKU: 0088 for 34 - 36 LaSalle all series, or SKU: 0087 for 37 Cadillac. They are $33.00 for two and cost me $12.53 shipping to my area. Not many left - good luck.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330