News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

More fastener/rubber bumper questions for my 1957 DeVille

Started by dn010, May 26, 2021, 04:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dn010

My confusion with this car continues. I do try not to post needless questions so I did search the shop manual but found no references or answers to these questions unfortunately.

1. I have numerous slots that are on the rocker panels of my car that accept brackets to hold the stainless rocker trim on. The trim ultimately go over the bracket and is secured underneath the car by bolt. I have new brackets for this, I just don't know how to use them. I am guessing the angled tab goes into the top of the slot and it is pulled down so the flat tab goes into the bottom. I could imagine the force applied to the top of the bracket and angled tab from the trim is enough to keep the bracket secured in the slot. My question is, do I have the bracket oriented correctly in that the angled tab goes in on top first and is there anything else used to keep these secured to the car, some of the old ones had screws in them but I can't seem to find my photos from when I took it apart for reference.

2. Rubber bumpers for the hood - I know I need the four angled rubber bumpers, two on each side fender to hold the hood away from the fender but when I looked up a hood bumper kit for my car, it comes with the 4 angled bumpers and also 6 hood to fender bumpers. I just can't seem to figure out or find any holes where the 6 other bumpers could possibly go under the hood of my car. There are also these weird looking rectangular bumpers that have a slot cut into them which they say I'm required to have 4 of. The complete kit I was looking at was on Caddy Daddy but I also looked on Rubber the right way for individual parts since I don't need a full kit. If I need these 6+4 other bumpers fine, I need them and will buy them, I just need to know where they go. But I also don't want to buy this stuff if they're not necessary and will only end up on a shelf.

As always, any help or guidance is appreciated.

Links to the bumpers in question:

https://www.rubbertherightway.com/1957-cadillac-restoration-parts-front-36203-prd1.htm

https://www.rubbertherightway.com/1957-cadillac-restoration-parts-hood-36379-prd1.htm

-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean