News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1969 Deville Climate Control panel

Started by Ike, February 19, 2021, 07:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ike

Good Morning,
                    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Deville and the Eldorado Climate Control panels?  They look identical, with the exception of the Deville has a purple wire coming off the amplifier and the Eldorado has a Pink wire in the same location.   

I ask, because I bought one on E-Bay, and did not realize it said it was for an Eldorado,  I seen another for a Fleetwood /  Deville that said it would not fit an Eldorado.   I cannot find anything that says what the difference is.  anyone have info on this?  Thanks in advance.

Ike
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable
69 Coupe Deville. Previously owned
72 Eldorado. Previously owned
71 Coupe Deville. Previously owned
72 Coupe Deville. Previously owned

cadillacmike68

This is not commonly known, but while the control units might look the same, the 1969 ElDorado used the mechanical components from the 1967-68 Cadillacs, which means the vacuum operated Master Switch (AKA Steamboat sw), the 7 port rotary vacuum dials (I think 5 in 1969 and later), etc. You definitely need an non Eldorado control unit.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Ike

Thanks Mike, but if you are talking about the control panel vacuum valve (on the bottom of the control panel) they both have 8.    With that said,  Anyone need a Climate control panel for a 69 / 70 Eldorado?
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

Ike

Ok, just for everyone who does not know,  I just found out, the difference between the Eldo and the Deville  controls, is the Eldo has an 8 pin connector and the Deville has a 10 pin connector.

I’m not sure why they would be different, but they are.

Other than that, they are identical     Your welcome

Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Ike on February 19, 2021, 04:34:10 PM
Ok, just for everyone who does not know,  I just found out, the difference between the Eldo and the Deville  controls, is the Eldo has an 8 pin connector and the Deville has a 10 pin connector.

I’m not sure why they would be different, but they are.

Other than that, they are identical     Your welcome

Are you talking about an electrical connector or a rotary vacuum dial? 

It would seem illogical that in 1969 with the elimination of some vacuum controlled functions, there would be More vacuum ports on the 1969-70 DeVille / Fleetwood control units than the ElDorados.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Ike

There’s 8 ports on both vacuum dials,  but only 8 pins used on the 10 pin connector on the Eldorado.   10 wires on the Deville.   Not sure why the difference.
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Brian,
As has been said earlier, the Eldorado ATC has some systematic differences from the standard car.  Without going into them specifically, since that would entail a separate topic, the Eldorado was slated to come out in 1966 and essentially had the ATC system from that year.  The ATC system developed rapidly in that era with changes sometimes mid year.  The Eldo was a bit behind until 1971 when they went to the 2nd generation Eldo.  At that point the two systems became just about identical until the late 70's.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Ike on February 20, 2021, 07:01:27 AM
There’s 8 ports on both vacuum dials,  but only 8 pins used on the 10 pin connector on the Eldorado.   10 wires on the Deville.   Not sure why the difference.

Why is there a continued cross reference to vacuum ports PINS and WIRES?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
Since the number of possible combinations of circuitry with multiple valve ports or connector wires is numerous I would have to GUESS the reference to port or connector numbers takes into consideration that you have the specific model and year for your part selection.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillacmike68

That's not what I meant. 
Vacuum lines connect to Ports, NOT pins,

Wires can connect to pins, terminals, etc but Not ports.

Referencing ports pins and connectors all in the same sentence makes it Very difficult to understand what the person is talking about.  Ex:

"There’s 8 ports on both vacuum dials,  but only 8 pins used on the 10 pin connector on the Eldorado.   10 wires on the Deville.  "

Is this a reference to wires or vacuum lines??

By the way, the RWD 1969 Cadillacs only have a 5 vacuum port connector on the power servo (in the engine compartment), but the ElDorado carrying over from 1968 has 7. I didn't realize that they had even More vacuum ports on the dash control unit, but I guess they needed them.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadillac Fleetwood

The 1969-70 dash ATC control for Calais, DeVille, and Fleetwood models, has a connector block to accommodate 10 wires, with two rows of five wires each.  The connector block on the dash ATC for the 1969 and 1970 Eldorados ONLY, has the same arrangement of the connector block, with two rows of five wires each, EXCEPT that in the Eldorado, only eight of the ten openings in the connector block are occupied by wires.

There is yet a THIRD permutation, the unit used in the Series 75 limousines, where there is no VENT POSITION on the control. It is readily discernable without the necessity of counting the wires or pins in the electrical connector, or the number of vacuum ports on the rotary valve.

Charles Fares

Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Ike

Mike,   What I was saying about the vacuum ports and wires.   Both the Deville and Eldorado control panel have the same # of vacuum ports.   

The electrical connector is Identical as well.   The difference is the Deville has 10 wires and the Eldo has 8.  Same connector. 2 less wires.  Sorry if that was confusing. 
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable

cadillactim

The vacuum valve is also different on the Eldorado, even though it has the same number of ports.

Tim
Tim Groves

cadillacmike68

Because it has to send vacuum to the Master (Steamboat) Switch which is no longer in the RWDs.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike