News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Stop Light Help

Started by rex, March 12, 2021, 08:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex

Dear Friends,

Can anyone tell me exactly how the stop light switch is wired into the system on the '56?  It appears to run off the body feed but are there any connections along the way?  I ask because  yesterday I removed the headlight switch from my car to try to repair the  instrument light rheostat but found it broken-I also discovered the sliding block inside the headlight switch was cracked. When I put the switch back together (fi you've tried it you know how awful it is to hold everything together) and installed it, I discover now that i have no brake lights.  I got dash lights by by-passing the rheostat and have all other lights working, including signals.  So, now I don't know if I messed up the switch or if there is another connector between the body feed on the head light switch and the brake light switch.

I also have this question--is a 1955 headlight switch the same as a 1956 except for the decorative trim pieces?  I have a '55 switch I am thinking of trying.  Your help is coveted!

Thanks, Rex
Rex Crews #18304

fishnjim

I sold my '56 shop manual to some guy in europe, so you need to obtain an electrical diagram or shop manual.
https://www.classiccarwiring.com/cadillac-lasalle/     (electrical diagram)

Bishko, Faxon, etc.(auto literature co.s) have the shop manual on CD usually.   

It should be fairly straight forward, there should be a (limit NO) switch attached to the brake pedal that sends power to the lamp.  Some are hard to get to, like in '58.   Where it gets it's feed is probably from the main fuse, but a guess.  There's probably a female connector to the switch male.   Wires usually run along the door sill interior to trunk then split.

Lexi

Here is one of 2 wiring diagrams from the 1956 Cadillac shop manual. This should help. It also includes one hand written correction by me included (but not tail light related). Clay/Lexi

rex

Thanks much for the help.  I have been studying this diagram and appreciate it.

Do you know whether a '55 headlight switch will work in a '56?

Thanks so much!!  Rex
Rex Crews #18304

J. Gomez

Quote from: rex on March 13, 2021, 08:27:16 AM
Thanks much for the help.  I have been studying this diagram and appreciate it.

Do you know whether a '55 headlight switch will work in a '56?

Thanks so much!!  Rex

Rex,

Not sure what is going on with the board BUT I can't reply to your post as the message gets cut-off after a few lines. :o

So I'm attaching my reply instead.  :(
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Quote from: lexi on March 12, 2021, 10:33:18 PM
Here is one of 2 wiring diagrams from the 1956 Cadillac shop manual. This should help. It also includes one hand written correction by me included (but not tail light related). Clay/Lexi

Clay,

I think you know but the wiring diagram from the Service Manual (the page you posted) has an error on the Autronic-Eye wiring which was corrected in the Serviceman January.   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Jose you are correct. Good thing you mentioned it as I had forgotten about that. Attached for all is a quick snapshot of the Cadillac Serviceman information page on the Autronic Eye from January 1956.

Regarding Rex's enquiry on brake light wiring, I was looking at the diagram I posted yesterday and upon enlarging, find it a little pixelated. Rex if it is troublesome to read up close let me know and I can try to resize my original copy so that it has more bytes and still be within Forum image upload limits.

As to whether a '55 headlight switch will fit a '56, I do not know. They do have different part numbers, so "perhaps" not. I have taken apart several '56 headlight switches and yes they are awful things to work on! On my '56 Caddy I had Fog light switch function issues & also had to hunt for parts. As I recall there were also 2 different rheostats that year, one being more heavy duty. If you only need that look for one from a late model year car. I believe the '57 Caddy rheostat is the same, and would most likely also be the heavier duty one. Less likely to have failed.

I always disassemble these switches in a large ziplock bag so I don't lose anything. If you hunt for a replacement or a core for parts, remember that if you have Fog lights, get one from a car that had also had them. That way you also get the Fog light switching box for that function. If I recall correctly, that extended the length of the switch so the ones with Fog lights had a longer pull switch rod, than non-Fog light cars. I found a photo that looks to show a pair of '56 headlight switches side by side. One with the "Fog box", and one without. May have got from Jose (?) years ago. Anyhow, hope some of this helps. Clay/Lexi

rex

Thanks so much to you, Jose and Lexi and Jim for your help.  I think I understand what is going on now! Sincerely, Rex Crews
Rex Crews #18304

Caddieman53

According to the Master Parts Book, 1955 is a one year only switch. Part #199 5064
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine