News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Series 62 Carburetor Reccomandations

Started by corleones, March 15, 2021, 10:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corleones

Good evening,

My name is Jim, this is my first post on the forums, I was wondering your guys recommendations to replace a Carter AFB Carburetor on my 1959 Sedan Deville. Should I get a remanufactured Carter or get a new Edelbrock Carb? Thanks for any input.
James Scarmozzino

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Stick with the carb that it came with. Once you start going aftermarket, you end up having to cobble and diddle with a million small things to get the pieces to fit and work together. In the end, you are lucky to get the piece to work as well as stock. You will also diminish the desirability of the car because the next guy will have to figure out what you did and how you did it.

These cars were designed by the best engineers of their time. They ran millions of miles in their unaltered states. Any change that we make is unlikely to improve them.

If you want a 1st class rebuild on your Carter, I recommend Daytona Parts in Daytona Beach, FL. I have used them twice and wouldn't use anybody else.

Michael Petti

Identify the AFB carb that you have. There is a number on the tag of stamped on the carb base on the passenger side. Usually 4 digits and a letter. You may find someone else replaced the carb with a very similar one. Hemmings has a list of AFB numbers and the cars they went to. I agree with staying stock. These cars were designed to run as a system, and no aftermarket carb will be bolt on. You will have to modify a linkage or you may get an electric choke instead of an exhaust gas one or vice versa. if the carb is not the original model and it works rebuild that one to avoid lot of extra work.

fishnjim

The Edelbrock performer series is the "AFB".   They bought the Carter rights, etc. so their parts should fit yours.   
This type question depends on what you're trying to accomplish?
What problem are you solving by changing the carb?   
If you don't have one at all, it's a whole different question.   
The only issues one has with the performers is the TV rod.   The linkage on the new carb does not have provision for hooking up the TV rod(trans "kick down").   So you have to either graft the stock one or add an adapter.   Otherwise, pretty much the same, except the top bore is probably larger than the stock.   Stock air cleaner won't fit.   So you have to use after market or a later one.   But they might have already gone to the bigger bore in '59, I just don't recall without looking at my literature down the garage.   Someone else can chime on that.   

corleones

Thanks for all of your prompt responses, I am going to get a rebuilt Carter Carburetor from the Daytona Beach location as it was on there for all of its life.

Kind Regards, Jim
James Scarmozzino

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan