News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 TH400 tail shaft bushing

Started by scotth3886, March 25, 2021, 12:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcroe

Quote from: scotth3886
The bushing Fatso sent me are 4014s.  I have the long tailshaft TH400 with the 13" tailshaft.  Bushings they sent me are about an 1.25" wide.  Do you recall if you have the long 13" tailshaft and if so, appx how wide were your bushings?

I believe that is the longer yoke bushing, apparently for heavy duty
aps.  Many TH400s were built with a much shorter version, but they
are interchangeable.  Bruce Roe

scotth3886

Quote from: bcroe on March 26, 2021, 09:15:06 AM
I believe that is the longer yoke bushing, apparently for heavy duty
aps.  Many TH400s were built with a much shorter version, but they
are interchangeable.  Bruce Roe

I ordered a couple more bushing, gasket, o-ring kits from some other sources to be sure I have every possible combination.  At $129 per hour in labor charges, I wanted to be sure I'm not holding anything up for lack of or wrong parts.  Hasn't happened yet.

I am surprised that given the length of that output shaft due to the 13" extension housing that don't need multiple bushings or wider/longer ones?

2manycars

The tailshaft extension on mine is very short. According to Fatsco, the bushing is 1.24 inches long.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

scotth3886

Quote from: 2manycars on March 27, 2021, 08:52:26 PM
The tailshaft extension on mine is very short. According to Fatsco, the bushing is 1.24 inches long.

Below is my tailshaft, 13", but the bushing they sent me sounds like it's what you have.  I still don't think I have the right one.

The pics below was from the last time we went after it, but we couldn't find the bushing so just replaced the seal as it was leaking pretty good.

2manycars

Quote from: scotth3886 on March 28, 2021, 03:19:38 AM
Below is my tailshaft, 13", but the bushing they sent me sounds like it's what you have.  I still don't think I have the right one.

The pics below was from the last time we went after it, but we couldn't find the bushing so just replaced the seal as it was leaking pretty good.
Yep I can see where it had been slinging oil. I think both of these transmissions can run the same bushing. If I remember right, the year listing for my bushing went up to 77. Other bushings did also though. As had been posted previously, there are different lengths available. I'm thinking you won't know for certain what you have until you pull the extension housing. I also noticed that some of Fatsco's callouts in the parts list shows two of these bushings used for 66 - meaning two per transmission. The parts sheet is not just for Cadillac though. It covers the entirety of TH400 production.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

scotth3886

Quote from: 2manycars on March 28, 2021, 03:49:45 PM
Yep I can see where it had been slinging oil. I think both of these transmissions can run the same bushing. If I remember right, the year listing for my bushing went up to 77. Other bushings did also though. As had been posted previously, there are different lengths available. I'm thinking you won't know for certain what you have until you pull the extension housing. I also noticed that some of Fatsco's callouts in the parts list shows two of these bushings used for 66 - meaning two per transmission. The parts sheet is not just for Cadillac though. It covers the entirety of TH400 production.

That pic was taken at the time we replaced the seal, but we couldn't find a bushing at that time. 

If its two of the same bushing, I now have several of these.  What I don't have is a longer/wider bushing.