News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carpet for limousines

Started by David Fleming, July 08, 2020, 04:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Fleming

This may be better suited for the restoration forum but I'm not sure.  I am in negotiations to purchase a fleetwood factory limousine.  It needs new carpet in the rear compartment.  I cant find any supplier of parts that has carpet specifically marketed as carpet for fleetwood factory limousines.  My question is does anyone know if regular fleetwood carpet will fit? Or where I may be able to find carpet specifically designed for the limousine option    Thanks

jaxops

Dave-I bought a regular sedan carpet and we ended up cutting it up in order to fit.  The jump seats have pads that you don't carpet over when stowed.  It was a jigsaw puzzle between jump seats, footrests, and then carpeting in front of the jump seats, and then of course the bottoms of the doors.  The front carpet tends to be the same as the sedans and coupes though (I had to buy the front separately as it is black and the rear compartment is gray).  It's probably better to get the carpet material and have someone help you cut and install it.  Original rear limousine carpets were thicker and some had extra rubber padding on the backs.  Hard to find that nowadays though.  The older cars used loop (not cut pile).  Check around though you might get lucky.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Jeff Hansen

David,

It would help to know what year of car you are speaking of.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

winger888

https://www.accmats.com/

I dont know them but know that others found what they were looking for.
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series

jaxops

In another post someone mentioned Bill Hirsch and Original Parts Group.  Online all that you see is upholstery but call them.  Try these:

1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Williamrush

My carperts got old and damaged a bit. I have either to change or repair them. The second option is easier if I find a carpet repair company. Any suggestions?

fishnjim

I would suspect the conversion shops of the day, would use the available period materials, if not supplied to them from Cad.   There should be a plate on the car somewhere that tells who did the conversion.  They can be researched, might still be around and give leads.  This is where original documentation with the car is priceless.  Commercial chassis is a separate category, harder to trace/research.  Since it's not a front color match, likely a custom job and all normal bets are off.   Might even be custom made carpet.   It commonly done for high end commercial.
The other way is take out a piece and have matched but not likely to be exact due to wear/fade, etc. so to look right may have to replace the whole back section.   SMS bought out LaBaron-Bonney inventory, so I'd try them first.   Look for a unfaded piece underside/lapped, etc. and wash/dry first.   They matched some unobtainium cloth for my P.

cowboyman

Quote from: Williamrush on April 19, 2021, 03:26:55 AM
My carperts got old and damaged a bit. I have either to change or repair them. The second option is easier if I find a carpet repair company. Any suggestions?

My friend used once a carpet repair company. He is the type of person who prefers old things to new ones. Although I insisted on buying a new carpet and get rid of that junk, with no success. And there is no problem with money. He earns more than enough and can afford it. It's just a quirk. Since I couldn't bear that old, damaged, stained stuff anymore, I made him call a carpet repair company at least. (rapidcarpetrepairs.com.au) In a week, he finally did what I asked him. You know, I was surprised by the result. The carpet looked pretty good and didn't get me on nerves anymore.

Michael Petti

If repair is an option try www.automotiveinteriors.com. They have a variety of auto carpets.