News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

500 Engine upper bracket trouble (maybe?)

Started by JLanteigne75, April 28, 2021, 06:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLanteigne75

Hi Guys,

I am in the middle of a carb rebuild so I though why not give some fresh paint to the upper part of the engine.

First of all, I don't know the name of the upper part of the engine so I'm just gonna call it the upper manifold.

I was moving things out of the way when I unbolted this bracket (see photo below), there is a matching one on the other side.  When the bolts came up I noticed oil on the bottom.  My question is did I screw the pooch and possibly unseat a gasket or something?  Such to the point that I would need to take out all the other bolts that are bolting down the upper manifold to replace this gasket and properly torque it down? Or am I okay?

I only unbolted one of these brackets.  I immediately plugged the holes and came in to ask the good folks on this forum. 

Thanks in advance,

Jonny Lanteigne
Jonny Lanteigne
1976 Sedan Deville Hardtop

35-709

Your carburetor is bolted to the intake manifold.  Those brackets you pictured are/were used to install the engine, they serve no other function until it may be time to remove the engine.  You are OK, when you have repainted them, reinstall them and torque the bolts to their proper spec., as noted in the shop manual.  Cadillac Factory Shop Manuals for whatever year you have are readily available on eBay and should be in everyone's library, especially those not familiar with their car.  Assume you have a torque wrench? 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

JLanteigne75

Jonny Lanteigne
1976 Sedan Deville Hardtop