News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear Shocks on 1976 Eldorado Convertible

Started by JHJSR, May 03, 2021, 12:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHJSR

The Forum offered great advice on replacing my front shocks, any thoughts on rear shocks.  I currently have the "air adjustable shocks, but they seem weak and in need of replacement.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TJ Hopland

My theory on the rear air shocks for these cars is we were down to 2 manufacturers for a long time and the both quit making them a while ago so now we are working from old stock which isn't good for something like this.   I seem to be replacing them every couple years either because they leak air or oil.   I should have kept my old ones since its usually only one side that fails.

Since the rears do have coil springs I had wondered if we could convert to an air bag in the springs and that would give is more options for the shock?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

JHJSR

Thank- sounds like I should keep what is there.  Doesn't leak that bad.  The ride was so much better replacing front shocks and I hoped for same change with front replacement