News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

My Cad was delivered. I'm Somebody now!

Started by 71 Fleetwood, May 13, 2021, 05:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Fleetwood

I bought this '71 Fleetwood Sixty Special four weeks ago.  It arrived today in fine shape.  56K miles.  Gotta tell you, bias ply tires are "groovy".  I forgot how they follow the asphalt. 
needs:  passenger side mirror, driver side rear lock sticks.  Failed emissions test by .09 CO.  I'll see about a collector car plate until I can sort out the high altitude adjustments.  Seller says it was tuned but nothing like tinkering our own selves!
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

jagbuxx #12944

That looks like a beauty. I already miss my Fleetwood that left for New York a month ago. Smog test for a 1971? I thought California was bad requiring them back to 1976
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Cadillac Jack 82

Nice car!  Welcome!  CA has smog tests for vehicles but so does AZ.  I believe its 68 and newer all require emissions tests.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

71 Fleetwood

Jagbuxx - WTH?  I would have bought your car in a New York minute.  That's beautiful!
I got this one from Erie, PA.  There are very few Cads in Colorado so I planned for shipping but it took four weeks. zzzzzz 
The smog:  Colorado cars 50 years old can skip the test.  I had to take the car to the emissions station for a VIN affidavit anyway.  I'm not upset that it missed by a little bit.  I've had much worse results with Ford 4V and Holly carbs.  I'm not familiar with Quadra Jets but I shall learn.  The idle is at 575 which seems a bit slow, I'll take it up to 650 and see how it sounds. 

Sign of the times: 
Testing tech - "Sir what size engine is this"
Me proudly -  "It's a 472"
Testing Tech - "I need liters, Sir!"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Saw it when it was on BaT. 

Forget about the mirror which will be a nightmare to install correctly assuming you can even find the correct mirror assembly, cable & joystick in the first place. If it was good enough for the Indy 500 owner in 1971 it's good enough for you so keep your cotton pickin hands off! Thou shalt not mess with original survivors! :D

Exceptional Fleetwood Brougham & best of luck with it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Nice looking car. Get some Diamond Back Classics tires on it. Either John Abend, Jeff Burland or Charles Fares will have the
parts you're looking for. Emissions? on a 71? CA?
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

64\/54Cadillacking

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

James Landi

Richard,

ENJOY your wonderful car... but, a few words of caution:  please do change the fluids if they have not been changed relatively recently.  It's so easy to be lulled into complacency by so few miles on the odometer, and meanwhile decades old lubricants are satuated with moisture and coolant can turn acidic and eat through aluminum heater cores as well as engine block freeze out plugs.  Also, please check brake lines for age related rot as well as brake cylinders.  Here's hoping all of this maintenance has been accomplished by the former owner...   and welcome to this terrifc club.  We truly enjoy members sharing the joy (as well as the challenges) of these wonderful automobiles.    James

Carfreak

Congrats. And you can be sure Reliable took good care of your new car.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

71 Fleetwood

Thank you everyone.  Great advice on the mirror, juices, hoses and cables.  I'll take it in for hoist-level checkup.  Classic cars do have a habit of surprising us with sudden failures that could have been prevented.  I drove the car home and back to work the next morning (34 miles).  There was a carb hiccup during moderate acceleration.  The steering and tires feel a bit loose, brakes are fine, no strange creaks or groans, defroster fogged the windshield and windows so I need to check the AC drain for starters.  Stinky air vents ugh!

V63

I have a very nice rt complete mirror assembly... mirror, cable, escutcheon and backing plate, fits  1971-73 $250

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Reavette,
     That is one Beautiful  Fleetwood . Please we need to see more Pictures . Interior and exterior . Does the car have any history ? A beautiful 50 year old  Cadillac Fleetwood is something special  .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Quote from: Reavette on May 17, 2021, 01:23:16 PM
defroster fogged the windshield and windows so I need to check the AC drain for starters.  Stinky air vents ugh!

That sounds like a heater core starting to fail sorry to say. Maybe you can get something back from the seller. At the price it sold for it's certainly worth a try. 

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on May 17, 2021, 02:24:41 PM
Hello Reavette,
     That is one Beautiful  Fleetwood . Please we need to see more Pictures . Interior and exterior . Does the car have any history ? A beautiful 50 year old  Cadillac Fleetwood is something special  .

Bill

All the pictures you could want and the backstory here.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-cadillac-fleetwood-60-special-brougham/

jagbuxx #12944

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on May 17, 2021, 06:37:35 PM
That sounds like a heater core starting to fail sorry to say. Maybe you can get something back from the seller. At the price it sold for it's certainly worth a try.
Yes, my '75 Fleetwood needed another heater core only 16 years and 1,000 miles after it had been last replaced.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

James Landi

Yours is an ionic car--- a real "stunner."  I owned a sedan de ville of that model year-- but your black Fleetwood is the best.  Mine provided years of excellent service and comfort, especially with the tire pressure  at the specifications set by Cadillac with those big bias plies.   It's good to know that all of the preventative maintenance has been accomplished...  hoping that you don't have a leaking heater core... as mentioned above, the seller may provide some cash back, if you have to face that expense.  Hard not to compare the plastic "toy cars" and trucks Americans are buying-- you have one of the last of an era, and your car will generate a good deal of reaction from all those fortunate to encounter it during your travels.  Congratulations, James

Given the presentation and the selling price realized, I sure wouldn't be bashful about hitting the seller up for a few bucks back - as in a couple grand or so. Seriously, at 30 large + buyer's fee(!) for a 50K mile 71 FB, the car should've been zero-excuses turn key ready stem to stern with a full tank of premium. Most of the underbidders would've had the same expectations. Now the carb still needs repairs and plus a heater core?  Unacceptable in my book.

BTW if a passenger mirror is still insisted upon, this would be the time to do it since the dash will have to come out. I still wouldn't get involved it doing it though. 

71 Fleetwood

I think that I found the AC drain nipple yesterday at the bottom of the evaporator shell.  I ran the air for awhile and shot some orange foam cleaner into the intake vents.  The passenger intake really sucked it in.  The AC is dripping water on the concrete - good.  No more window fogging.

The carpet is still dry.  I replaced a heater core on a Mustang a few years ago, no fun at all.

I'm thinking now that the passenger mirror is waiting for a convex solution if I can think of a way to do it.  Without convex it's just a decoration.  Thank you for the offer.

I'm still good with the seller.  The car is better than expected.  I'm not finding any rust or bogus parts.  Usually, my discovery period is full of horrible cuss words that were banned by the US Navy years ago.  It's looking like I can work through one item at a time to refresh the tired parts.

BTW - I didn't know that you peeps were getting so many thumbs up.  All this time I've been driving cars that instigated stoplight shenanigans.  Everybody just loves old Cadillacs!

bcroe

Quote from: jagbuxx #12944
Yes, my '75 Fleetwood needed another heater core only 16 years and
1,000 miles after it had been last replaced.   

Yea, experience has put heater core replacement on my maintenance
list, every 19 years.  About the same as a lot of other stuff.  Bruce Roe