News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 ELS trim de-coder ring

Started by JungleCadd, March 19, 2021, 07:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JungleCadd

Anybody now what TRIM No: SO 3375 indicates for a 56 Eldorado Seville?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
56 Eldo Seville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Well, this is a tough one since I'm sure you're aware
that SO=Special Order.  The body color is Starlight
Silver, however the Trim Code is meaningless to me. 
There are no records that I know of for these codes
as they could be any color possible that the individual
wished.  The Trim Code refers to the interior painted
surfaces:  Dash upper and lower, garnish moldings
around the windshield, door panels, etc.

I was one of the authors for the Class 15 Authenticity
Manual for 54, 55, 56 Cadillacs and we did not touch
this at all.

The best would be that if you have any good pieces of
these areas that you have a local paint shop scan them
to make up paint to match if you want to make it
"original".  You could order a copy of the "cars built"
sheet from Allied Vaughn to see if it sheds any light
on the subject but I think that's unlikely.
https://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/page/VehicleAuth

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

fishnjim

Go to the www.gmheritagecenter.com and download the vehicle info kit for '56 Cad from the 'archive".   300 pp.     
They list the trim codes by model in the descriptions.   I see 33 but skips for 75, guess; special order combo.   But maybe it's own code.   Not uncommon back in the day, they catered to big money clients.   If you were paying 3X the cost of a regular model, you had leverage.  Could be something as simple as a different carpet color or piping or completely off the chart.   There are reports of matching favorite colors, etc.   Elvis's pink, etc.
Like Mike says, you need to have the build sheet or original order, to help sort out the originality.  The current must not be indicative to ask this.   The codes ordered will be on the build, but you still have to decode.   The dealer upholstery and trim book may help but they're scarce, $$$.
Documentation is key when purchasing.

Caddyholic

3375 is the body number  SO3375 in a special order number for body 3375. Does you trim have any special looking features? colors, material's etc.?   You can't see it in the picture but it would of had staple holes in the body tag that a paper tag was stapled with the SO info. They are always gone after 60+ years.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Could try ordering the build sheet from Allied Vaughan for $50.00 but not always does this bear fruit for Special Order cars. Build sheet turned up nothing on a SO '55 or '56 Sixty Special for an owner.

Outside of that, the interior itself is the only thing there is to go on- assuming it's still original. Post a picture of it.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

JungleCadd

Thanks Fellas!!!

Good leads. Thanks for the links super helpful.

Cheers,
Erik
56 Eldo Seville

cadlove

These days with the build sheet purchase you get one of those 'daily' production sheets, super small print, copied many times. I was sure when this service started you got a copy of the actual build sheet? That would help enormously.

I have Roy Schneider's book on fifties' Cadillacs, most of it from Data Books.

Have you good pictures of your interior so we could at least try and identify what is different in your car from a regular Eldorado Seville?

Let me know. JP

cadlove

Addendum - I should have added, sometimes door and rear quarter panels on SO trim has numbers / identification written on the back of them? Might be worth checking? JP

JungleCadd

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 20, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
Could try ordering the build sheet from Allied Vaughan for $50.00 but not always does this bear fruit for Special Order cars. Build sheet turned up nothing on a SO '55 or '56 Sixty Special for an owner.

Outside of that, the interior itself is the only thing there is to go on- assuming it's still original. Post a picture of it.
Quote from: cadlove on April 10, 2021, 09:47:37 AM
These days with the build sheet purchase you get one of those 'daily' production sheets, super small print, copied many times. I was sure when this service started you got a copy of the actual build sheet? That would help enormously.

I have Roy Schneider's book on fifties' Cadillacs, most of it from Data Books.

Have you good pictures of your interior so we could at least try and identify what is different in your car from a regular Eldorado Seville?

Let me know. JP
Thanks again for the input fellas!  I found a few markings on the inside door panels ...Special 1014.  I think the panels are original and are all black top to bottom. Metal door trim looks to be the exterior color scheme of the Silver. Same with dash. Dash pad and upper ddor pad are Vinly but all door/kick panels are leather. Package try is tuck and roll which doesnt look correct.

Also , i dug up a blurb on the interwebs describing the car a few sales before i found it. Look like it was close to complete although bastardized. what a bummer that most of the super rare stuff got yarded off. -->

"One of the rarest of the 1950's production 2 Door Cadillacs (second only to the Biarritz Convertible version of this car). The 1956 Eldorado Seville had a total of 3,900 units made. The vehicle apparently had  a history if  notoriety in So Cal in the 60's, and was painted purple and Decked and Nosed when I bought her.  Design-wise,  this  model's  front 66% is the same as any Series 62 Caddy with some minor exceptions. This makes parts super common for most of the components. There are a few exceptions - The Eldorados came stock with the Dual Quad (2 Four Barrel Carbs) set up, and the super coveted Batwing Air Cleaner. I have all of the rare unobtainiom parts, although a number of them will require some help. The vehicle is externally very rust free for its age. There is only has a minor bit of rust in the driver's side rear quarter. The floor pans do have some rust holes, but I have purchased the replacement panels, which will come with the car. So... To give you an idea as to what I was thinking for this car... I have spent some absurd money on a few things... First off, after I bought this car... I bought a parts car that had all of the rare stuff still on it... This car was deep into the swamp in Louisiana. My (now) Wife and I flew into Houston and drove 4 or 5 hours to this remote area and spent 5 hours stripping the car. The main reason I spent the $1,500 on this hulk was the Batwing Air Cleaner... It was super solid, and the best example I had seen... I spent an additional $1200 on the restoration and painting of this piece (essentially $2,700 to make the nicest Batwing Air Cleaner ever). The other piece I had to have from this unit was the Radiator Support... IT WAS UN-CUT!!!!!! I had been told that unless a car was put out of commission extremely early in its life,  this part would be cut with a saw almost 100% of the time, because it was much easier to remove the engine that way. From my experience, this is true, I have never seen a 55 or 56 with an intact Support (besides mine), and many GM units of this era are permanently scarred with this mod. The downside, is as you can see, you have to pull the fenders to remove the engine, they need to be installed again... Speaking of the Engine. It is a JOE REATH Motor!!! God Rest His Soul. He was a friend of a friend in the neighborhood... Needless to say, the extensive machining and rebuilding of this original 365 engine was not allocated a "good guy deal", which I am actually really happy about now, as financial issues were very impactful at the end of his life, and continue to impact his wife to this day. I installed the engine and trans and lit her off on the garden hose in 2008. I ran her for 1/2 hour to break the cam in. I had a temporary driver side exhaust set up from the manifold due to the need to route around the prototype Wilcap adapter. The transmission installed was one of the highest level Bow-tie Overdrives 700-R4 units available. the TVR Cable still needs to be set up. The original trans was rebuilt, to the tune of $2,100 and comes with it as well. My plan was to put her on Air Bags and put her on the ground. Therefore, I have it set up with a two piece driveshaft with center support bearing. The interior is in okay condition, I have a perfect dash pad that comes with it, but it will require dying. Power trunk closer worked like a charm when I used it. One of the Dagmars has been rechromed (can't remember now why not both, but I bet it was financial). I have also had the headliner support structure powder coated black. Anyway, this has been a major attraction for visitors to my house, as it sits prominently in our back yard and I will really miss it, but my wife HATES this car. Any way, we have multiple properties, and I will be more than happy to keep this rare girl in the family if needed... Just not in this state. 50's Caddies have become much more rare in the 10+ years I have owned it, this is not your average Coupe Deville... I have a bunch of other parts that come with it, but I will have to gather between now and time of sale... If you're local to Long Beach, I will be happy to let you take a good look at her... Thanks.
Additionally, this will include, at least 6 Sabre wheels, complete grille, new set of taillights, 4 rear bumper ends, and that Olds 303 Rocket and stand shown in the picture if you want."

56 Eldo Seville