News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Priming a Flathead.

Started by Poncholover, June 04, 2021, 11:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poncholover

Is it easiest to to pull the dist & spin the oil pump (my usual method) or to pressurize the system by pulling an oil gallery plug?
This will not happen real soon but I am planning ahead.
Does that Distributor "stand" complicate things or would I just remove that to spin the pump?
Flattie Caddy

Bob Schuman

To spin the oil pump you must remove the "tower shaft", the part below the distributor. The tower shaft is gear driven by the camshaft, and it drives the distributor and oil pump.
The alternative you suggest should also work if you have a source to push pressurized oil into the oil gallery.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

wheikkila

The only problem with pressurizing the oil system is your not checking the oil pump to make sure it works. I have rebuilt a lot of engines over the years. And have run across two bad oil pumps. I know that the chances are low. but who wants to go back into the engine after it's been installed in the car. Now I run my engines before I install them. That wasn't always the case.
Thanks Wayne 

Poncholover

Bob's sage reply confirmed my suspicions, this method would allow me to clean things up & check them over first.
The current hitch is that the engine will not turn a full 360 so some exploration will be in order first.
:(
Flattie Caddy