News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Just acquired a 1937 Cadillac

Started by shortbread, June 07, 2021, 12:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortbread

Hello Everyone. My name is Marsha Whiten. I just acquired a 1937 Cadillac Model 60 I believe. I am the second or third owner. The vehicle has been garaged since 1985. With the exception of what looks like 2 under hood work hood lights and a third brake light, it is in original condition inside and out. No parts seem to be missing. The previous owner ran an auto repair shop dating back to the 1920's and doing business into the 70's. All the spark plugs were loosely installed with one wire broken. I sprayed Sea Foam in each cylinder and let sit for 2 weeks. Meanwhile I ordered wires and new plugs. When I turned engine over by hand it turned real easy. My thoughts were the plugs were loose because someone oiled the cylinders for long term storage. I installed a new 6 volt battery and hit starter button. It turned over easily but no start (glass fuel Bowl was still empty). Put some gas in carburetor, cranked and got some action. Looked at gas bowl and was almost full. Put a little more gas and it started right up. No smoke. Idled very smoothly. No smoke but afterwords the garage floor behind the car was covered in fine black crunchy granules that that the exhaust must have ejected. The fuel tank is half full but I plan on removing and boiling out as with the radiator. The rubber around everything is shot. The interior is shot. The carpet is shot. I have a desire to keep the car original I am hesitant to tamper with. I was considering a frame off restoration but though about the originality. The car needs to have it's original luster restored or so I think. I have a feeling that some members out there may have strong feelings about this. Please share.

carlhungness

Sounds like you have a beauty and lucky it started. I'd have to see some photos to make any comment on your project so hope you can post some.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Welcome aboard Marsha!

You've come to the right place.....post some pictures and keep us posted on your progress...

The long term storage steps the previous owner did is a big help!

What do you have? convertible coupe, coupe, sedan, convertible sedan?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Tom Boehm

Hello Marsha, you can replace the upholstery and keep the rest of the car unrestored. My opinion is upholstery is a drivability issue. You could also get a seat cover over the original upholstery. You can take your time making restoration decisions after you address the mechanical issues to get the car drivable. Also Steele Rubber probably has all the rubber for that car available reproduction.

James Landi

WOW--- someone did store your car properly--- The fact that you;re concerned about the cooling system is a huge plus--- bad cooling systems easily create big problem-- valves in these engines can easily burn and thus create a terrible problem right at the out set of your journey.   DId you start it with the old gas tank gas??? DId I get this right??--- Did it really have gas in the tank or did you put some in to get it started  (I suspect after nearly 50 years, it was empty.)  Have you changed the oil???    Regarding restoration,  so much of this kind of work depends on your resources, experience, and level of long term commitment.   Many narratives on this website on the woof and warp of such intense journeys.  Please keep us posted with narratives and pictures.   James

shortbread

The previous owner was in the auto repair business since the 1920's. He would have known storing a car with an empty gas tank would allow more air thus more moisture to enter the tank. The shop also had two old gas pumps I am looking to acquire because they sold gas up to the 1960's. Man cave stuff. I checked the oil and it appeared to have been changed after storage so I started it with old oil. I still will change the oil and all hose and fluids and belts before hitting the road. I'm debating wether to replace the wheel cylinders or rebuild them. I have not seen the master cylinder yet but it will need to be gone over. I pulled the car out of the garage under its own power to take pictures and the pedal was firm but the car seams like a load to stop.The pan had been dropped and the car came with a file of work orders that were written from his shop showing repairs done in the previous 4o years or so. It has seat cover already and they are worn. It has new tires but the manufactured date is too old to be good rubber. The car has a sticker under the hood showing what paint they used to paint it so the black paint is not original and the paint shop used has been out of business for over 50 years. All the lights work. The wiper motor works. All the gauges on the dash work. Working on posting some pictures. I think the car was his daily driver until he purchased a 1955 Chevrolet Belair which the family still owns. I was told that they continued to pay registration on the cars until 1995 even though they never left the garage. This collection also included a 1937 Lasalle which was sold a few year back.

Jay Friedman

Congratulations.  Sound like a great car.  As others have asked, let's see some photos.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

harry s

Congratulations on your new purchase. Very fortunate the previous owner kept up maintenance and stored it the right way.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Boehm

I would rebuild the existing brake cylinders. If necessary, have them sleeved. If you buy new ones they will be made in China. The rebuild kit may also be made in China but you can't get around that. Also have the existing brake shoes relined.

James Landi

Marscha,

Such a fascinating narrative with many known details and clearly dozens of unknowns.  As we all know, a very used car generally receives little or no consideration, and from all the folks that have posted their project cars here, most are true basket cases.  THanks for the details, and looking forward to many pictures.   James

z3skybolt

Quote from: Tom Boehm on June 08, 2021, 04:16:33 PM
I would rebuild the existing brake cylinders. If necessary, have them sleeved. If you buy new ones they will be made in China. The rebuild kit may also be made in China but you can't get around that. Also have the existing brake shoes relined.

Mike at Cadillacpartsltd claims to have entire brake systems made in the USA available.  I bought a set for my 40 LaSalle.  If you order them tell be sure to get the shoes/pads that are 2 1/8 inches.  I had to return the rear ones which were 2 1/4 and would not fit.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

shortbread

Thanks to the help of a post on how to post pictures, I think I did it. The car started right up and went right in gear so I was able to move it in and out of the garage for pictures. It has 5 ply BF Goodrich tires 700-16. Brand new but dated.

James Landi

Marsha,

Incredible!  WOnderful pictures--- all of the trim and elegant design details frozen in time.  THanks for including us on your journey.   James

Ohjai

It appears this car was owned by an Amateur Radio Operator Ralph O. Carlisle.  His radio license expired in 2004.
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

harry s

Such a beautiful car with acquired patina that can not be duplicated.  Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

shortbread

Yes. The car did belong to Ralph Carlisle, a Ham Operator. I honed brake cylinders in auto shop 50 years ago but had no idea they could be resolved. I will be looking for a good machine shop hopefully operated by someone with grey hair who thinks fondly of these old works of engineering art. I live in driving distance to the Caddyydaddy,  so I was going to pay them a visit to see their offerings first hand. I've sent away for the Steel Rubber catalog. I don't think she has a decent piece of rubber on her and that lead was very helpful. Patina in abundance for sure.

bigbeckley@outlook.com

Hi Marsha. You have LaSalle tail light lens on your car. These are valuable so be careful around them... Very nice car... Good luck... John C. Lehman....

gcdpetaluma

Love your California Black license plate! The car looks great and your dash is beautiful.

shortbread

The previous owners brother had a 1937 Lisle. They sat side by side in the family garage for the last 30 or so years so maybe he liked those tail lamps better. I was wondering about the tail lamps because they did not match the lenses that are offered on line.  Thanks for the good information.

fishnjim

Chunks out the exhaust are soot covered rust granules.   So your exhaust probably will need replaced soon.
White Post is a premium brake rebuilder/resleever.   www.whitepost.com
They must have did a good job in storage of keeping the vermin out to have intact interior and wiring.
Pre-war not my interest area but seems the flatties survive and revive better.   They're much more indestructible/simpler design.  I think it's partly due to the low compression and power and the bearing materials-o-day.   Pre-war iron was not as widely recycled, unlike post war.