News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado spare tire well

Started by Paul Tesone, July 03, 2021, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

I don't need the trunk floor - just the well . My well is rusted out starting from about half way down into the well to the base . Not sure if the wells of all 1957 models have the same dimensions . ... Sketch of my well is attached . ....Thanks , Paul Tesone

fishnjim

If you can't find one in decent shape, they all eventually have issues*.   
They sell these "universal" in a couple sizes and can be cut to fit, grafted, etc.   Most will remake from scratch when restoring metal work.
I'm pretty sure they're spot welded in, not bolt on.   So be careful, the gas tank is next door.   
* - they did away with this design in later years.

Roger Zimmermann

It could be that the '57-58 regular cars have more or less the same well. When the water cannot escape the well, it rust out. I had the issue on my '56 Biarritz.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

V63

I have one from a 1955 sedan, no rust,  $100 🚢 from 85009

caddy57eldo

The wells are spot welded in.  I had to cut the spot welds out to replace my rotted well in my eldo.  And yes the gas tank is very close by.

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing to consider when replacing one of these is does it need to be any wider to retain a rim with a Radial Tyre fitted?

Easier to widen one before installing it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon