News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Torque converter clutch NOT locking up 1985 Eldorado

Started by Turboba6, August 02, 2021, 12:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turboba6

Hi Folks,

New to me Low mile (32,000) California car I just bought
Few issues minor issues I took care of, however this one's new to me the torque converter clutch is Not locking up, usually they get stuck locked up...No code, and Yes it's plugged In...

Anyhow Ideas?? Thanks!!

smokuspollutus

Brake lights working normally? What happens if you pull up on the brake pedal while cruising in 4th gear? The car is actually engaging 4th gear correct, and displays as such on the diagnostic display on the climate control head?

TJ Hopland

I think also the computer has to think the coolant temp is at least 180 to allow lockup. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Turboba6

Hi Folks, Yes, I was watching the diagnostics,
and the Coolant temp at the
time was 203. Rpms Never dropped...and No Code 39? either,
However, Earlier in the Day
I Was getting Lockup, so Odds are the Solenoid is stuck Closed??

I Ordered a New one from Napa...

Dave Shepherd

I think there was a second switch on the brake pedal to disengage  the tcc, could be wrong, but check it out.

Turboba6

There are 2 Brake pedal switches, Brake lights,
and Cruise disengage switch...

wheikkila

You should be able to tab on the brake pedal and the torque converter should disengage. When you release the pedal it should re engage. Be sure to check the switch on the brake.
       Thanks Wayne 

Turboba6

No the Problem is that it Never Engages in the first place....
The Brake switch is only to Disengage!!

smokuspollutus

What everyone is getting at is if the switch never closes, the converter will not engage.

Once you verify the switches under there work and are adjusted properly, by jumpering a pin on the ALDL under the dashboard, you can force the converter to engage once the car is in drive. That proves whether or not the solenoid works/if the converter is having issues. If I recall, the pin needs to be given 12 volts. The book will enlighten you further to what pin and what it needs to do so. Do you have the factory manual?

Turboba6

Yes, I have on Order, should get here by Friday,
In the meantime, Looking straight at the ALDL
Is it the Top left and second one over, jump with a Paperclip??

Turboba6

Just Update here, my shifter bushing are VERY
Worn, ....I Had it in D no OD...Lol.... Everything is Perfect now...SMH

savemy67

Hello Brian,

It was a very brave man who first ate an oyster.

Thank you for letting us know of your oversight.  This is a good reminder to remember Ockham's (aka Occam) razor.  Glad your TCC is working.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop