News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1949 Series 61 Bright Work

Started by 49 Caddy, August 21, 2021, 10:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

I am having my front and rear bumpers re-chromed and have started removing all the other trim, including the front grille.  Problem is, I am not sure what is chrome and what is stainless.  Any easy way to determine the difference?  I was under the impression that stainless did not rust, am I mistaken?

fmackan

This is something I was wondering as well on my 1950 Series 62 Sedan. I was hoping my authenticity manual would list it out but I don't see it

Francis
Francis Mackan
Ontario, Canada
1950 Series 62 Sedan (6219)

35-709

The stainless you have will not attract a magnet (yes, there are some stainless grades that will attract a magnet), so a small magnet will tell you the difference.  Some polished aluminum can look almost chromed, but it, of course, won't attract a magnet either.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2